Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I USED to own a Model S until the head-on crash.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have a 2013 Model S. On Sunday February 21st, we were on Palatine Road going westbound. A GMC SUV made a turn from the straight lanes around the stopped cars in the turn lane whom were on a red arrow. Had enough time to hit the brakes and yell "oh ****" before everything went blank. We hit them broadside , all four airbags deployed. As the airbag smoke cleared and we realized that we were alright, we opened both front doors and got out. We had to help the GMC driver and passenger to open their doors as they were jammed after the crash. WE were taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital. If it weren't for the Tesla Model S, I wouldn't be here today to write this. I ordered a new Model S and put a deposit on a Model X the next day. Thank you Elon Musk for the Model S.
Dr Peter J Waidzunas

I used to have a 2013 Model S. On Sunday February 21st, we were on Palatine Road going westbound. A GMC SUV made a turn from the straight lanes around the stopped cars in the turn lane whom were on a red arrow. Had enough time to hit the brakes and yell "oh ****" before everything went blank. We hit them broadside , all four airbags deployed. As the airbag smoke cleared and we realized that we were alright, we opened both front doors and got out. We had to help the GMC driver and passenger to open their doors as they were jammed after the crash. WE were taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital. If it weren't for the Tesla Model S, I wouldn't be here today to write this. I ordered a new Model S and put a deposit on a Model X the next day. Thank you Elon Musk for the Model S.
Dr Peter J Waidzunas

I'm so glad you were in a Model S and that you're replacing it - I often wonder how many lives have been saved because of these cars. Probably no way to know.

Glad you're both okay :). Welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing about your new vehicles!

I forgot to mention that the car automatically contacted Tesla motors to advise of an accident with airbag deployment. Tesla corporate called my home contact number even before I could call home to advise my wife that we were OK. Pretty amazing customer service.

I forgot to mention that the car automatically contacted Tesla motors to advise of an accident with airbag deployment. Tesla corporate called my home contact number even before I could call home to advise my wife that we were OK. Pretty amazing customer service.
So did they talk with your first or just call right away themselves?

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope the occupants of other vehicle are doing ok too. Was this head-on to head-on? Read it a few time and sounds like they cut across you?

The design of the Model S, including its increased crumple zone size, helps both the occupants of the Model S and likely the other vehicle, vs. same weight ICE car. They should also feel lucky that this wasn't another SUV hitting them.