Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would be SHOCKED if the Cybertruck doesn't allow Vehicle to Grid (power backup)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm convinced that the Cybertruck will offer home solar power storage that will integrate seamlessly with Tesla Solar.

Even if they charge an extra $5,000 to cover warranty expenses relating to this I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

Tesla is going to be an enormous company within 10 years. They will be able to sell $150,000-200,000 of product to many customers assuming they buy into the Tesla ecosystem (car, solar, HVAC).

Tesla is THE green tech company of the future.

Reactions: EVortex
As much as I'd love for this to happen, I think the barriers aren't all Tesla's (e.g. wanting to sell separate powerwalls instead of opening up this idea as a feature).

My understanding is in my areas, the regulations for stationary storage to feed a house/building are well defined, however the safety systems and regulations needed to allow V2G (vehicle to grid) functionality aren't there yet. The first time I read this I thought it sounded like a cop out by Tesla, but perhaps it is more of an obstacle to overcome than we realize?

Most electric codes require a full home disconnect when you have a home power source back up. It’s a safety measure so you can’t back feed power to the grid and zap someone working on what they think are dead lines.

As much as I'd love for this to happen, I think the barriers aren't all Tesla's (e.g. wanting to sell separate powerwalls instead of opening up this idea as a feature).

My understanding is in my areas, the regulations for stationary storage to feed a house/building are well defined, however the safety systems and regulations needed to allow V2G (vehicle to grid) functionality aren't there yet. The first time I read this I thought it sounded like a cop out by Tesla, but perhaps it is more of an obstacle to overcome than we realize?

I don’t think the regulations would fall outside of current regulations for portable standby generators....

I'm convinced that the Cybertruck will offer home solar power storage that will integrate seamlessly with Tesla Solar.
Even if they charge an extra $5,000 to cover warranty expenses relating to this I would snap it up in a heartbeat.
Tesla is going to be an enormous company within 10 years. They will be able to sell $150,000-200,000 of product to many customers assuming they buy into the Tesla ecosystem (car, solar, HVAC).
Tesla is THE green tech company of the future.
Glad you like it. I would never use such a feature. Something just doesn't make sense for me to use an expensive car as a battery backup when I can get a $5K automatic generator to do the same thing. But yeah, I can see some folks liking it.

Reactions: Merle