Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I93 Breakdown Lane Travel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often travel the I93 corridor in Northern Mass into NH and there's a section where the breakdown lanes are open during rush hour for travel... always wondered if anyone tried using Autopilot while traveling in that lane... was just curious how it handled all the confusing lane markings. Haven't tried it yet myself.

I often travel the I93 corridor in Northern Mass into NH and there's a section where the breakdown lanes are open during rush hour for travel... always wondered if anyone tried using Autopilot while traveling in that lane... was just curious how it handled all the confusing lane markings. Haven't tried it yet myself.
I take the I93 south exit to I495 and autopilot/FSD does not handle the travel/breakdown lanes properly and will not move into the travel/breakdown line appropriately. I try this after every update to see if it's improved and there has been no change.
Is always freaks out when a car behind me is in the breakdown lane and I need to move over to the right exit lane. I always have to take over. I think it will be a long time before this edge case is addressed.

• Informative
Reactions: JATinNH
My post wasn’t suggesting a joy ride... was just curious how the limits of Autopilot perform in this kind of scenario.

I'm also not suggesting a joy ride. I'm telling you flat out, it would be extremely dangerous to you and others to do this. Autopilot has a very bad time deciding when it should or should not follow lane lines. It reacts randomly and poorly to cars cutting in and out in front of you. It reacts extremely poorly to lane size and shape changes. And it will not stop for solid metal blockers in your path like stopped cars of crash rails.

In other words, this is how to exercise literally everything that autopilot does poorly. Please don't test it, please don't do it, because you'll end up another statistic that's used against the development of these semi-autonomous systems. When you get more experience with autopilot, you'll figure out what it does very badly and what you can experiment safely with.

Reactions: MarcoRP and EdA
I'm also not suggesting a joy ride. I'm telling you flat out, it would be extremely dangerous to you and others to do this. Autopilot has a very bad time deciding when it should or should not follow lane lines. It reacts randomly and poorly to cars cutting in and out in front of you. It reacts extremely poorly to lane size and shape changes. And it will not stop for solid metal blockers in your path like stopped cars of crash rails.

In other words, this is how to exercise literally everything that autopilot does poorly. Please don't test it, please don't do it, because you'll end up another statistic that's used against the development of these semi-autonomous systems. When you get more experience with autopilot, you'll figure out what it does very badly and what you can experiment safely with.
IMO you over dramatizing this just a bit. As long as you know the highway and your only testing how auto-pilot/FSD handles or doesn't handle breakdown lanes during rush hour you will be fine. There are no dangerous crash barriers to be worried about in this section of highway.
The key is to drive defensively and be ready to take over.

Over dramatized.
These are just the crashes from known failure modes you're likely to encounter frequently in the breakdown lane. I haven't overdramatized anything, I think you've missed an awful lot of news about how and when autopilot fails.
Over dramatized, yes. I was very clear that I only do this on a road I know very well and in addition I can see the exit in this example. The examples you provided are not comparable.
I've been driving over 50 years in greater Boston and have a perfect driving record. No tickets, no fender benders, no points on my insurance, so nada. I think I know what is safe driving and what isn't:)

Over dramatized, yes. I was very clear that I only do this on a road I know very well and in addition I can see the exit in this example. The examples you provided are not comparable.
I've been driving over 50 years in greater Boston and have a perfect driving record. No tickets, no fender benders, no points on my insurance, so nada.

The Palo Alto Model X crash is exactly what I'm describing. That guy drove the same route often, until his X veered toward a crash arrester and he was killed. So. You can do whatever you like, I don't really care. My only concern is for innocent people around you. Perhaps read the manual and follow the instructions.

I think I know what is safe driving and what isn't

Most drivers have an inflated sense of their abilities. Presuming you're 66 or older, your reaction times are slower than you remember them being. It's a cruel trick the brain plays on us.

The Palo Alto Model X crash had the driving *not* paying attention, even though the guy drove the same route often and knew Autopiliot did not do well at the split with the crash arrester.

It is key to keep both hands on the wheel and pay extra attention, not less.