TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ICE production cars you wish were electric and perform like a Tesla

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by sprediletto, Aug 18, 2011.

1. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

I was driving next to an Acura NSX and thought it would make a perfect BEV. The car has a timeless design. What ICE production cars do you wish were fully electric with all the performance we enjoy from Tesla?

acuransxpictures.jpg

2. GSP

GSP Member

Bently Continential Flying Spur
    Porsche 911
    Chevrolet Volt (as a 200 mile EV)

One of each with Tesla performance would make a nice fleet.

GSP

3. 7racer

7racer Member

my 3rd gen RX-7

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Porsche Cayman... Lotus Evora...

And some small sleeper family sedans like BMW 3, Honda Civic, Chevy Cruze.

Are you thinking seriously about conversions, or just dreaming?

5. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

#6 sprediletto, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Just dreaming of a perfect world where the roads are well made, traffic police wave to you as you zoom by at 125mph and the weather is always 70 degrees and sunny. Oh look, a puppy. I have no desire to convert but think the NSX & Roadster share some DNA. Additionally, I think a BEV Porsche 911, Toyota Supra (Mark IV) and McLaren F1 (love the 3 seat setup) would be pretty cool.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Well of course I'd like all cars to be EVs and perform like a Tesla. That said, I've seen some sub-par conversions that ruined a perfectly good sportscar.

7. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

Mazda MX-5 Miata

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Evora
    Stratos

10. Tommy

Tommy Member

Check out: Chip Foose, Foose Design

They are located in Huntington Beach, which would keep your car in CA. Chip Foose has his hand in several TV shows about cars so maybe he might take on your project as a TV episode. He's a perfectionist when it comes to cars he has worked his magic on.

11. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I've had the same thought for quite a while. I always wanted one as an ICE before I knew the potential of EV's. The NSX would make a great package as an EV. I'd use a pack of A123's for high power to weight ratio and aim for around 120 mile real world range.

12. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

You don't think it will have collector value? In the future with an improved battery pack it could actually be better than new.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It's really a two shop project. There are very few today that I would trust with Tesla's secret sauce. Maybe Rev Gadget. As for the outsides there are quite a few here in the LA area who do film work. (I think Foose would try to Foosify your batmobile -but you might like it) Barris (made the original Batmobile) is still making cars. Try http://www.la411.com/

The current Batmoble is said to be pretty well made for a movie car "It was designed and built by 'Chris Corbould' and Andrew Smith at Shepperton Studios in England...(half a million pounds)"

14. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Honda Civic Type-R - well loved "hot hatch" now discontinued, reputedly because it fails stricter emissions tests - would be delicious to have an even better performing electric version with no emissions worriesVW Scirocco - it just looks so aerodynamic (although apparently it isn't)

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

VW Camper / Microbus

16. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

#18 JRod0802, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
    I know it's only a concept car, but you've seen this, right?

Edit:
    According to this article, VW may actually make it a production vehicle.

17. richkae

richkae VIN587

#19 richkae, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
    I want an RV. A sleeps 4 people small RV, but a real RV, tall enough to stand inside. It would have a central aisle - 6 inches off the ground and you stand right on that with nothing else between you and the road. So the whole thing would be about 7 feet tall to have a couple inches of head clearance. With wheel hub motors and no truck drivetrain crap underneath that should be totally doable.
    I would run the batteries on either side of this central aisle - underneath the benches/tables/storage.
    I'd make the thing have aero that puts an airstream to shame - a crazy looking teardrop with a sub .17 Cd, totally smooth, no mirrors, only cameras. Hopefully with really great aero even something that weighs a lot could have a 300+ mile range.
    You can recharge 150kW in around 16 hours with a 40 amp 240 volt RV park connection - so whatever distance you can get park hopping with 16 hours of plugged in time at RV parks determines how far you can go each day.
    Or you could make a couple hours stop at a Level 3 and fill the big battery from that.

18. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Yes. There is also this one: vw-volkswagen-chameleon-camper-van-concept-car

vw-camper-hybrid.jpg

There is also at least one conversion on the road.

I was thinking along the same lines as richkae. You can drive from campsite to campsite and charge up overnight.