Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE'd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They could have at least left the charger in to make it look like they were using it.

Some really great responses so far to the question of being ICE'd.

Tesla has indicated that they will charge extra at it's superchargers if cars remain plugged in. The car is electric....Seems to me that Tesla could install proximity sensors on it's cars. That way if inconsiderate Tesla owners park in a supercharging spot and are not charging, Tesla can detect that and start billing them (fine them) for occupying a charging spot. Might cost Tesla a buck or two to do that, and it would be a shame if they needed to, but it might curb owner's from occupying a spot and not charging.

Any distinction between superchargers or destination chargers?

I am encouraged by the compassion and restraint noted in the responses thus far. Good group of EV'ers!!

Some really great responses so far to the question of being ICE'd.

Tesla has indicated that they will charge extra at it's superchargers if cars remain plugged in. The car is electric....Seems to me that Tesla could install proximity sensors on it's cars. That way if inconsiderate Tesla owners park in a supercharging spot and are not charging, Tesla can detect that and start billing them (fine them) for occupying a charging spot. Might cost Tesla a buck or two to do that, and it would be a shame if they needed to, but it might curb owner's from occupying a spot and not charging.

Any distinction between superchargers or destination chargers?
A huge distinction. Tesla owns the superchargers and leases the spaces. Destination chargers are owned by the destinations and are on property owned or leased by the destinations. Tesla can't make any rules regarding those parking spaces.

I've read that some hotels tell Tesla drivers that they have no control over parking that happens at superchargers on their property????? What?? Tesla needs to clamp down on these hotels.

Did you ask the hotel manager to check license plates and get the owners out of their rooms and move their cars so you could charge yours??

The problem with being too agressive here is that if Tesla makes too many demands on the locations that they give chargers to, or if EV owners come in and demand that a hotel wake up another guest so that they can move their car that many hotel owners will simply decide that having EV charging is more trouble than it’s worth and remove the chargers or not install any more. Especially at big chains where the property owner may own several properties or report back to the franchise owner.

Instead I think the community as a whole would be much better served by going into the hotel and telling them that one of the main reasons you chose that hotel was the fact that they have an EV charger and you are disappointed that it is blocked by another car. Explain to them how this inconveniences you because you can’t just go to a gas station to fill up in the morning. I think the solution here is education. A lot of people just don’t know what’s involved in charging an electric car or the fact that it can take hours at a L2 station, but if you come in and explain to the hotel that it’s causing you a problem and especially point out that the fact that they have this charger is bringing in business they will be much more likely to try to come up with a solution and to maintain their current chargers and maybe even add more.

In fact I would even go a step or two further and even when there isn’t a problem make a point business owners know that you appreciate the fact that they have chargers on their property and let them know that one of the reasons you chose to patronize their business is the fact that the charger was there. If business owners keep hearing this we will see more chargers being available.

Tesla has indicated that they will charge extra at it's superchargers if cars remain plugged in. The car is electric....Seems to me that Tesla could install proximity sensors on it's cars. That way if inconsiderate Tesla owners park in a supercharging spot and are not charging, Tesla can detect that and start billing them (fine them) for occupying a charging spot.
i think you could use the existing sensors for this to make it easier to implement. Put a large QR code on the stall and have the car camera read and register occupancy over the network. Use the relative size and position of code plus car GPS and compass to verify. Could also make the QR code digital (LCD) and constantly changing to counter copying. Could patent that.