Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal charge limit for new MS 85 (100 miles per day usage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most days for me are 30-60 miles. I charge to 80%, normally.

If I know that I will have a 100 mile or more day, I charge to 90%. Before starting on a long, multi-charge trip, I set the timer to start charging from 90% to 100% at 2 hours before I leave; that way, the full 100% finishes, then I drive the 100% charge off soon after.. If I will leave the car for more than a week, I set the charge at 50-60%, leave the car plugged in, and let the vampire suck the battery down towards that level.
One consistent voice on this subject has been yours, and you have both experience and logic supporting your view.

I only wish we had an easy way to trickle-charge the 12v to feed the vampire and reduce 12v cycling stress. I note the only unplanned event in my 17,000 miles over 8 months was a 12v failure. We rarely discuss that issue in the context of main battery pack treatment, probably because the vampire presents minimal risk to the main pack, but 7-8 deep cycles per day for the poor 12v.

I think the consensus among we owners is to charge daily somewhere between 40 and 60 percent, more if a long trip is anticipated. I have no idea why the SC says 90 percent, as that conflicts with other advice given by Tesla. I'm sure others will weigh in with different advice:)
My understanding is if you never charge above 87% the pack is unable to balance bricks. This will result in a loss of range when you need it. Most of those unbalanced miles can be brought back but it takes time. So I assume the SC wants to ensure your pack remains balanced. A battery is only as good as the weakest brick.