Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal highway speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drop the suspension to low, turn on range mode, cut off AC, if you’re lucky get behind a semi or van, set into autopilot with shortest distance and watch the kWh/mi drop. Minimizing drag coefficient is really the only way to make improvements at high speeds.

Almost never. Why do you ask?

...conserve energy, save a little money, lengthen range, lessen the CO2 burden on the atmosphere, increase your survival chances in an accident, increase your accident-avoidance ability, and ease your mind about radar cops? You have to be driving quite a long way before the difference between 55 mph and 65 mph makes a really meaningful difference in arrival time, and how often does arrival time matter, anyway? It's probably a factor only if you're driving between business appointments. When did Americans start believing that it's their solemn duty to always drive the speed limit?

For me, the ideal highway speed is the one that stabilizes the charge remaining at destination (at the bottom of the nav turn list) at 15% to 20%. Usually that's my normal limit + 7 MPH. But if the charge at destination is dropping too far, speed limit + 3 is usually enough to stabilize it.

I think most nav time estimates (and Google maps) assume "typical" or average speeds, which I assume would exceed the speed limits a little. They don't just blindly use the posted speed limit.

Why not just drive the speed limit, conserve energy, save a little money, lengthen range, lessen the CO2 burden on the atmosphere, increase your survival chances in an accident, increase your accident-avoidance ability, and ease your mind about radar cops? You have to be driving quite a long way before the difference between 65 mph and 75 mph makes a really meaningful difference in arrival time, and how often does arrival time matter, anyway? It's probably a factor only if you're driving between business appointments. When did Americans start believing that it's their solemn duty to always drive 10 mph over the speed limit?
"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." [Ferris Bueller, certified American hero]
Amen.