Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting for coasting vs. regen/brake on speed change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just upgraded from a Model S P85 to a new Long Range and I'm finding some of TACC behaviors annoying, particularly that it likes to brake pretty strongly when the speed limit changes. Is there any option (other than my right foot) to get the car to coast when the speed decreases or on long downhills instead of applying regen and/or brakes? Ideally I'd like to have the car coast if it's within 10 mph of my set speed and use regen above that.

Solution
I just upgraded from a Model S P85 to a new Long Range and I'm finding some of TACC behaviors annoying, particularly that it likes to brake pretty strongly when the speed limit changes. Is there any option (other than my right foot) to get the car to coast when the speed decreases or on long downhills instead of applying regen and/or brakes? Ideally I'd like to have the car coast if it's within 10 mph of my set speed and use regen above that.
This is due to the older AP stack which did brake hard for speed limit changes. The new FSD Beta stack is significantly better. We don't know when the new stack will replace the older AP stack on cars that do not have FSD.
This is due to the older AP stack which did brake hard for speed limit changes. The new FSD Beta stack is significantly better. We don't know when the new stack will replace the older AP stack on cars that do not have FSD.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks. Since I have the 3-month FSD trial, I played around with it some more and can confirm the issue is definitely not as bad when the car is set to FSD, hopefully it's not too much longer before the changes get pushed to the standard TACC. I don't intent to purchase FSD since I find it very annoying on my commute and prefer to use regular cruise control without autosteer on most of those roads.

Upvote 0