Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Identify Part: Model S Lift Gate strut bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 Model S with a manual rear lift gate (I do wish we had paid for the powered lift which is now standard). The lift struts are really squeaky, so I've ordered some replacements that appear to be easy to install. However, the bolts they attach to are incredibly rusty, so I would like to replace them if doing so isn't complicated. I don't know how to identify the correct parts, find them, and most importantly if replacing them is easy for me to do myself.

Here are photos of the bolts in question:
20240318_113850-tarla_lift_gate_bolt.jpg
20240318_113911.jpg

No idea what the specific part number is, but these are called "lift support ball studs". Even if you can't find a Tesla-specific part, you should be able to find a generic replacement. You'll likely need to get a wrench on the back side of that piece of sheet metal to replace them.

Thanks. I found some on Amazon, but I figure I'll leave them alone since getting to the other side looks like a pain. I wonder if they rusted due to being attached to a different metal, or if it's somehow getting wet?