Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you buy FSD in Canada, are you assured of access to beta FSD software ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ProtonopeSJ

Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2023
Saint John NB
Commercial conditions for FSD in Canada are not the same as in the US apparently. In my Tesla App, I can upgrade to FSD for $11,700 Canadian because I already paid for Enhanced Autopilot. But I do not have any option to subscribe to FSD. So I'd like some reassurance that if I buy FSD that I will find I have immediate access to FSD beta software. I have contacted the Tesla sales person over 400 km from where I live but have heard nothing back. I need the answer to this question to come from somebody with FSD in Canada and preferably somebody like myself who bought model Y long range this year. But, I'd be happy to hear from other Canadians with possibly relevant experience. Thank you. I've just now also gone to Tesla.com and asked for a call back for Model Y purchase information in Canada. There at least I can surely hear directly from Tesla. If I do, I will report what I am told.

Last edited:
I believe Canadians have the same condition as Americans. I'm assuming you are on 2023.6 branch, so you'll have to wait for the next version of FSD which should be based on that branch and you will get the update when Tesla decides to go wide with that version, which I would guess is 1-2 months from now (but Tesla surprised me before, both positively and negatively... lol.)

If you want to get the next FSD, you need to make sure your current software does not exceed 2023.6. So if you ever get upgrade notification, you probably should decline, for now.

Upvote 0
Yikes, looks like Tesla is well ahead with 2023.12 branch. What version are you on right now?
I'm on 2023.12.1. Since posting above I have found other discussions to suggest I am not assured of being admitted to Beta Testing FSD software suggesting Tesla picks and chooses who can sample their betas. I have tried 3 times to get Tesla to answer me directly whether they pick and choose or would I be assured of being able to access their latest available beta which is compatible either with software I am now running or compatible with the next update I am offered that happens to have a compatible beta FSD. I am still waiting for Tesla to answer.

Upvote 0
I'm on 2023.12.1. Since posting above I have found other discussions to suggest I am not assured of being admitted to Beta Testing FSD software suggesting Tesla picks and chooses who can sample their betas. I have tried 3 times to get Tesla to answer me directly whether they pick and choose or would I be assured of being able to access their latest available beta which is compatible either with software I am now running or compatible with the next update I am offered that happens to have a compatible beta FSD. I am still waiting for Tesla to answer.
It is pick and choose until they reach the general release. The version I'm on, as an example, almost all got it.

Regardless, since you are on 2023.12 branch, it's gonna take a while for you to get into FSD.

Upvote 0
It is pick and choose until they reach the general release. The version I'm on, as an example, almost all got it.

Regardless, since you are on 2023.12 branch, it's gonna take a while for you to get into FSD.
I have now had an answer from Tesla in Canada and what you say about 2023.12 agrees with what they say, but I am also told that once they have a version of FSD beta compatible with an update to 2023.12, I am 100% assured of getting access to that beta having purchased FSD. No response to follow up. Therefore perhaps I will wait to buy FSD until the stars seem properly aligned.

Reactions: JohnB007
Upvote 0
I dont have FSD. I have Enhanced autopilot. Its usually very reliable but yesterday in Vancouver while turning left (east to north) from Cornwall Ave onto the Burrard street bridge, it attempted to veer into the southbound Bridge lanes. I expect FSD may have the same issue. IS there a reporting protocol to make Tesla aware of potential problem areas? Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
Upvote 0
I haven’t done it but I gather one option is simply to briefly press the right side thumbwheel on the steering wheel and then after that say software bug report and possibly describe the issue. For this to be much good I’d think it would have to trigger some saving and reporting of data which may depend on permissions given. I am sorry not to have more reliable information but I am sure it is a good lead for investigation.

Upvote 0
I haven’t done it but I gather one option is simply to briefly press the right side thumbwheel on the steering wheel and then after that say software bug report and possibly describe the issue. For this to be much good I’d think it would have to trigger some saving and reporting of data which may depend on permissions given. I am sorry not to have more reliable information but I am sure it is a good lead for investigation.
That records stuff in the car, but you have to visit a service center within 30 days so that a service technician can see it. From there, it's up to the service technician to forward any pertinent information to the engineers. I have no idea if they have a means of doing that sort of thing. I suspect Tesla isn't too interested in reports for anything but FSDb given that's their future. Excepting perhaps critical safety issues.

Upvote 0
I dont have FSD. I have Enhanced autopilot. Its usually very reliable but yesterday in Vancouver while turning left (east to north) from Cornwall Ave onto the Burrard street bridge, it attempted to veer into the southbound Bridge lanes. I expect FSD may have the same issue. IS there a reporting protocol to make Tesla aware of potential problem areas? Thanks
Say WHAT? EAP doesn't make turns. What are you saying or trying to say? ONLY FSD Beta makes turns.

Reactions: EVNow
Upvote 0