Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD functions on used 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I just bought a 2018 Model S LR AWD private sale today. The previous owner stated he had FSD enabled and transferred it to his new Model Y. However on the software screen the Model 3 still shows FSD Capability until it expires 9/11/23. However when going to the Autopilot menu, FSD beta is not available and it only shows Autosteer Beta as an option which I enabled. I have 2 questions:

1. What will happen when FSD capable expires 9/11? Will I still have autosteer or enhanced autopilot functions?

2. Why does it even have FSD capable if the previous owner transferred it to his new Tesla.

3. Why is FSD Beta not an option in the Autopilot menu even though it shows FSD capable?

Attachments

• 20230909_145439.jpg
    20230909_145439.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 20230909_145418.jpg
    20230909_145418.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 142
You will only have standard AP and they noted the day the other features will disappear. No EAP after that date. It still has “capability“ as you can still monthly rent it.

While that is certainly true for vehicles that came standard with Autopilot (after about April of 2019), I have no idea if it also is the same for vehicles from 2018 (which "came with" nothing as it relates to autopilot features, one had to buy either enhanced autopilot or enhanced autopilot + FSD).

I would "hope" the vehicle reverts to having AP standard, but its also possible it reverts back to having nothing, since "nothing" was standard for a 2018. OP will need to let us know what happens when FSD is removed from the car.

2. because the transfer has not completed yet. expect it to complete and FSD to go away.

3. because not every car with FSD automatically has FSD beta.

Reactions: Dreier
Upvote 0
I would "hope" the vehicle reverts to having AP standard, but its also possible it reverts back to having nothing, since "nothing" was standard for a 2018. OP will need to let us know what happens when FSD is removed from the car.
Others have reported that all cars that do the FSD transfer end up with basic AP, whether or not the car had it originally.

Upvote 0
Thanks. That's weird because the previous owner said he transferred his FSD to the new car. That wouldn't be the case if they only had a monthly subscription though.
I agree, but I don’t know of any other scenario where you would see an expiration date for FSD. Maybe the seller didn’t understand what the FSD transfer promotion was about, and just ”transferred” FSD by subscribing in the new car.

Reactions: Dreier
Upvote 0
Others have reported that all cars that do the FSD transfer end up with basic AP, whether or not the car had it originally.
In the few days before I picked up my new HW4 Model Y, my 2/2018 Model 3 trade-in that started life without any autopilot indeed regressed to basic AP. Of course I have no idea what was on the car when the next owner purchased it. Nice to hear that Tesla seems to be leaving basic AP on cars like mine. But if I was the OP, I would be crossing my fingers that Tesla doesn’t someday remove the feature since the original owner didn’t purchase it.

Upvote 0
I agree, but I don’t know of any other scenario where you would see an expiration date for FSD. Maybe the seller didn’t understand what the FSD transfer promotion was about, and just ”transferred” FSD by subscribing in the new car.
That's what I was thinking. I just hope that when the FSD expires, I still have basic autopilot. I just don't know what it reverts back to afterwards.

Upvote 0
It definitely had FSD included since I reviewed the service records and they got the free hw3.0 update in June 2020. I guess I'll find out in a few days what I'm left with.

Upvote 0