Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IKON Motorsports Front Lip for Model 3: A Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The PP version uses screws but they all go in to factory locations. Tape is used on the top edge.

I believe the other versions might be different and use self-tapping screws on the underbody.
I was recently in downtown Chicago in a parking lot that forced you one way through 4-6" deep potholes (craters) to get out of it. Needless to say, my Ikon PP lip was a casualty - cracked and tore the right side off (but nothing else damaged luckily).

This reinforced why I went with the IKON PP lip - inexpensive, flexible (I've been beating it up for over a year and it's bounced back) and each to replace. So glad I had a $200 repair rather than $1K. I seem to destroy front spoilers all the time (did on my last car a few times). Love the factory mounting screws (I reused the already installed clips), and holds great with adhesion promoter and 3M VHB tape.

This time I decided to wrap it in the VVIVID XPO carbo fiber wrap another poster suggested, very easy too do and I am happy with the results, but I may regret the extra $40 in the trash bin next time I kill one, LOL. Saving the extra wrap which is enough to do the inevitable successor.

If ya want a good looking, durable every day lip that you don't need to screw into the body panels and won't break the bank (Or make you curse when ya bust it up), I think the IKON PP is the real deal.

Attachments

• IMG_2887.jpeg
    IMG_2887.jpeg
    788.2 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_2891.jpeg
    IMG_2891.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_2888.jpeg
    IMG_2888.jpeg
    755.4 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
I really wanted the carbon version but preferred the way the pp mounted as well as the cost. Just got my pp lip in, hopefully I'll get it installed next week. I love the carbon wrap you did but dont have much confidence that I could get it to turn out good.. the matte black will match my mud flaps at least.

Reactions: E.Potter
I had a pretty mediocre experience with the Ikon front lip (BLF-TSL318IK-PP) (The version the uses the factory mounting holes). The lip came slightly warped which made it difficult to install. Even with some 3m molding tape after 4-5 months the lip started drooping as the adhesive failed (from the constant pushing downward by the force of air travel over it). Might go try the Ikon RPM version (BLF-TSL318RPM-GBK) and see if that fares any better. That being said the lip was strong and did protect my bumper from some hard scrapes and road debris.

Loving the Ikon front lip. Took me a while to figure out how to install them but after looking up on youtube I was able to find someone who explained it well. I got the unpainted one since I wasn't sure if it was going to scrape especially since I'm lowered on coilovers. Thankfully, with my current height I haven't scraped yet and its been about a month since I've had it.

Attachments

• Tesla Rona_-4.jpg
    Tesla Rona_-4.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_8695.JPG
    IMG_8695.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 355
I got this on last year year, and I did efficiency testing before and after installation. I have a very fixed test run for 30 miles that goes north/south to counter elevation/wind/etc. The CF lip added 4% energy consumption (lower range). This is testing at 65 and 70mph cruising speed. I've kept it on because it looks cool. I believe that the reason this lowers efficiency is because of the open underside that likely causes airflow to swirl instead of smoothly going to the rest of the underbelly. I noticed that the Unplugged Performance lip fully covers this section, and now I just saw that the PP Ikon lip has been revised to do this as well. Has anybody else with my old style or the new style done any before/after efficiency testing? Or are you only going for looks? If the new one shows efficiency improvement, I may have to consider the upgrade.
View attachment 703062View attachment 703063

Has the front lip changed since then or is it still the same?

Has the front lip changed since then or is it still the same?
Not really but they sell several different models and styles concurrently. If you worried about efficiency I would try to find the Ikon RPM style lip I ordered a bit back. It has a flat bottom and looks alot like the Unplug lip. I'll post some pictures once I rip my old ikon one off and get brave enough to slap some self tapping screws in the bumper.

Below are some pictures of my old lip.

Attachments

• IMG_8578.jpg
    IMG_8578.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 69688923010__81B338D2-DE8A-450B-A417-A6739C4114CF.jpg
    69688923010__81B338D2-DE8A-450B-A417-A6739C4114CF.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I have a PP version sitting in my garage that I've not got around to installing. I have 3M adhesive promoter and VHB tape but the kit comes with a lot of screws and no instructions. I assume the two clips are for the ends in the front wheel wells. Any other tips? Did anyone use tape as with spoilers installs to help keep pressure on the 3m tape contact points overnight?

I have a PP version sitting in my garage that I've not got around to installing. I have 3M adhesive promoter and VHB tape but the kit comes with a lot of screws and no instructions. I assume the two clips are for the ends in the front wheel wells. Any other tips? Did anyone use tape as with spoilers installs to help keep pressure on the 3m tape contact points overnight?
My advice would be to toss the VHB included in the kit and go to a local automotive store and purchase the 3m molding adhesive. 1/2inch x 15feet. Apply the 3m double side tape around the edge and use the two push clips on the side to secure the corners. Have someone help you as its fairly hard to do by yourself. Don't remove all the tape backing at once and rather remove it slowly and work across. Then I stuffed some carboard boxes under the lip and used some 3m automotive masking tape to secure the spoiler for 24 hours.

Reactions: heavyD
My advice would be to toss the VHB included in the kit and go to a local automotive store and purchase the 3m molding adhesive. 1/2inch x 15feet. Apply the 3m double side tape around the edge and use the two push clips on the side to secure the corners. Have someone help you as its fairly hard to do by yourself. Don't remove all the tape backing at once and rather remove it slowly and work across. Then I stuffed some carboard boxes under the lip and used some 3m automotive masking tape to secure the spoiler for 24 hours.
Are you talking about 3M Molding Tape because I can't find 3M Molding Adhesive.

Holy moly just read through every page lol. Great info guys and thanks to those who've shared their tips and experience.

I'm going to go with the PP lip for sure. My car is lowered on MPP coilovers and there's no way a CF lip will stay fresh for long. They look great though.

In terms of wrapping the front lip, does anyone know which vinyl is best that closely color matches the stock white paint?

Appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Loving the Ikon front lip. Took me a while to figure out how to install them but after looking up on youtube I was able to find someone who explained it well. I got the unpainted one since I wasn't sure if it was going to scrape especially since I'm lowered on coilovers. Thankfully, with my current height I haven't scraped yet and its been about a month since I've had it.
Can you link the youtube video?

Reactions: reds2k1
I disagree. I don't think you need 20's to run the lip. I have 18's and it looks fine. Lowering maybe.

View attachment 499730 View attachment 499731
hey, I see you have the front lip that I just recently bought from IKON. I also got the carbon fiber one and was wondering how you got the side of your lip to be flush where the paint isn't exposed? worried that mine won't be when I install it. Here's an example of what I mean. Did you have an issues with yours? appreciate it man! Car looks so badass

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Thanks! The bronze one is Superspeed RF05RR (summer set up) and the black ones (winter setup) is Braelin BR14
Those wheels are gorgeous! If you don't mind, which specs did you get (size, offset, and PCD/lug layout)? Are there any good sites or vendors to purchase them? I just got my vehicle, so I'm new to the Tesla game.

Which coilovers do you have and how do you like them? Your setup is gorgeous