Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Important to remove totaled car (now in Ukraine) from Tesla account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like the popular forum for "is it totaled" type accident threads, but that's not my question. My Model S was indeed totaled about 7 months ago by a drunk driver, and last time I saw it was at the insurance auction yard, to retrieve my personal belongings. I believe the 12V was powered up briefly so they could pop the doors open, but I think the pyro fuse blew when the airbags went off, so the HV battery was probably disconnected during the accident.

The car was indeed auctioned off for about $11K a few weeks later, I figure that's considered the salvage value of just the battery and some parts, though the damage wasn't that bad just to the front bumper and hood area. In any case, I never removed it from my account, which still shows the last known position as the location of the accident.

Until last night, that is....the app gave me an alert that the trunk was left open. Checking in, it appears the car is alive again, and a few miles southeast of Kyiv, Ukraine. Although I think the car is probably very fixable and driveable (as a personal vehicle), I'm thinking it is now being outfitted with some remote steering and will then be sent off soon as a kamikaze drone. I'd like to follow it on it's final journey to glory, maybe the dashcam pics will even be uploaded to Tesla corp and I'll be able to retrieve it someday.

So my question is, is there any risk to having the car still in my account? Would having access to the MCU in the car allow someone to access the personal details in my Tesla account (which we do have another Tesla active on the account), or use my credit card on the account to purchase anything (The car has FUSC, so even if someone supercharged it in Europe, it wouldn't cause any session charges, aside from possible idle/congestion fees). More serious potentially, if whoever took ownership of the car called in to Tesla, would they be able to have my entire account (with my other car) switched over to their control (different e-mail login, password) or ownership - or would they only be able to have Tesla move the vehicle to their own different account?

Similarly, the MCU was dead since the accident, until now. I'm not so concerned about someone in Ukraine knowing either of those things - but in any case, does asking Tesla to remove the car from my account cause any "remote wipe" to happen on the car's MCU? In any case, there was no way for me to have accessed the MCU earlier to remove those, unless I'd had the foresight to do it in the 15 minutes right after the accident, while the 12V battery still had some juice....

I'm in the same boat. My totaled Plaid is now in Starokostiantyniv, Ukraine. Because my MCU died a minute or so after the collision, and could never be woken back up, it was not possible for me to do a factory reset to clear out personal information stored within it.