Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Tesla accounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have two cars and a Powerwall on my Tesla account, as well as authorized drivers who have their own accounts. Since my daughter is an authorized driver, she can't see all the things on my account or authorize other drivers. I want her to be able to do that.

If I create a second account, or have Tesla transfer the car to her account, then the free Supercharger miles would need to go with it. I don't know if Tesla does that sort of thing. If I keep her car on the account and move the other car to a different account, it won't need those miles. It's a Model S with lifetime Supercharging. But I'd also have to move the Powerwall to that account if I did that, so I'd have control over the things I need.

Everything I see online seems geared toward transferring ownership rather than splitting things between accounts. Does anybody have experience with this sort of thing or know how Tesla handles it?

Since my daughter is an authorized driver, she can't see all the things on my account or authorize other drivers. I want her to be able to do that.
What other “things” can’t she do? I thought authorized drivers can do basically everything except maybe authorize other drivers.

Transferring the car out of your account to hers is essentially an ownership transfer. Whether the supercharging goes with it in that case depends on the flavor of lifetime free supercharging you have - some are transferrable (generally 2016 cars and before), some are not.

What other “things” can’t she do? I thought authorized drivers can do basically everything except maybe authorize other drivers.

Transferring the car out of your account to hers is essentially an ownership transfer. Whether the supercharging goes with it in that case depends on the flavor of lifetime free supercharging you have - some are transferrable (generally 2016 cars and before), some are not.

Being able to authorize other drivers is a pretty big thing since she's the one who drives it.

The Model S has lifetime free transferable Supercharging. The Model 3 does not, but I have Supercharger credits from referrals.

If it's too much of a pita, I can give her my credentials, but my wife also uses the Model S with my credentials. I think that Tesla has a limit of two devices per account for 2FA. Since the Model S has a fob, I can risk my wife's app getting logged out, which used to be a big problem with the Tesla app.

Regardless, the problem will go away by November, or whenever she uses up the remaining miles.

I'm pretty sure that everything on the Model 3, including premium connectivity, should transfer. It's vin 5xx.

I can’t recall a time in the past 8 years that the Tesla app on my iOS phone logged out without me doing it.

At any rate, if the car has transferrable supercharging, then just transfer it out to your daughter’s account and she can add you back as an authorized driver. Easy peasy.