Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing my Tesla model x from Jordan Middle East (European standard) to California and what issues I may face ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Niso

Jul 10, 2023
jordan
I’m immigrating to the US and would like to take my Tesla model 2018 x that I bought from Jordan (European standard) with me to the US. What issues May I face and are there solutions to fix them? Will I face issues with customs at Long Beach? Please share your experiences with me

Solution
It’s usually very difficult to import a vehicle into the US that’s less than 25 years old. You cannot just simply ship it over and drive it home. You will likely need to pay a vehicle importer to help with all the paperwork and clearing customs and regulations, on top of the regular customs and import fees. Since it’s less than 25 years old you would need the manufacturer to certify that it meets all US regulations (which it should, the problem is getting Tesla to attest to that on paper).

If you can actually get it into the US and drive it home, you will have another set of issues. The charging port will be different. You may be able to get adapters online for home charging but you will not be able to Supercharge. You can’t even...
You are going to want to sell that car and buy new when you get here. It may not have the same charging port as Teslas here in the US, navigation isnt going to work, you may not be able to get any warranty service on it (for things like battery etc which may still be under warranty).

Upvote 0
You are going to want to sell that car and buy new when you get here. It may not have the same charging port as Teslas here in the US, navigation isnt going to work, you may not be able to get any warranty service on it (for things like battery etc which may still be under warranty).
It is still under warranty till June 2026 the issue here is finding a buyer that will pay its market price and I cannot leave the car behind as it will deteriorate in terms of battery and maybe other things leaving it parked waiting for a buyer. Initially I wanted to see and still want that at a reasonable price but I’m not getting it so I thought why not take it with me and started asking around to study my options

Upvote 0
It’s usually very difficult to import a vehicle into the US that’s less than 25 years old. You cannot just simply ship it over and drive it home. You will likely need to pay a vehicle importer to help with all the paperwork and clearing customs and regulations, on top of the regular customs and import fees. Since it’s less than 25 years old you would need the manufacturer to certify that it meets all US regulations (which it should, the problem is getting Tesla to attest to that on paper).

If you can actually get it into the US and drive it home, you will have another set of issues. The charging port will be different. You may be able to get adapters online for home charging but you will not be able to Supercharge. You can’t even use third party CCS fast chargers. The data won’t work and neither will navigation. It’s unclear whether Tesla US will provide any assistance in changing the region of the software and changing the SIM card in the car to a US one.

It would likely cost you much more money trying to import it and still end up with a non-fully functioning vehicle, compared to selling it and buying another one here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is still under warranty till June 2026 the issue here is finding a buyer that will pay its market price and I cannot leave the car behind as it will deteriorate in terms of battery and maybe other things leaving it parked waiting for a buyer. Initially I wanted to see and still want that at a reasonable price but I’m not getting it so I thought why not take it with me and started asking around to study my options

The easiest option for you is to maybe import it to a nearby market which has better market prices and sell it there. Heck, if the price is right I'll come and take it off your hands ;)

Cut your losses. Such is life.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0

If you can actually get it into the US and drive it home, you will have another set of issues. The charging port will be different. You may be able to get adapters online for home charging but you will not be able to Supercharge. You can’t even use third party CCS fast chargers. The data won’t work and neither will navigation. It’s unclear whether Tesla US will provide any assistance in changing the region of the software and changing the SIM card in the car to a US one.

It would likely cost you much more money trying to import it and still end up with a non-fully functioning vehicle, compared to selling it and buying another one here.
Thank you so much. It seems I will leave my car behind and try to sell it

Reactions: Tiger
Upvote 0
Solution