Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving range calculation when in trailer mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I have noticed that when in trailer mode the range calculation on the graph only changes by 8 percent. Is there a way to improve this? How can we the user convey to tesla that this is out by at least 20 percent and inquire if there is something we can do different to improve this estimate.

Thanks in advance.

John.

The thing with a trailer is that its size and shape will greatly affect the result since the biggest effect is in aero. I believe the Ford Lightning has options to configure the type of trailer you have. Without that information, the car cannot know if it's 8%, 20% or even more.

The thing with a trailer is that its size and shape will greatly affect the result since the biggest effect is in aero. I believe the Ford Lightning has options to configure the type of trailer you have. Without that information, the car cannot know if it's 8%, 20% or even more.
That makes sense. So how can we get this request to Elon. I’m not a Twitter member.

Totally understood, but the car's navigation doesn't have much in terms of configuration. You can run ABRP in the car's browser but my experience with that (from a year ago) wasn't that great.
Yah. I have played with ABRP. It’s clunky. The in car nav and graph are great. The only flaw is the trailer range correction. The simple thing is to just subtract a twenty percent and we are safe but that’s kinda hoaky.