Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Wake from Sleep speed via app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
So my Model 3 often takes a long time to wake from sleep in the morning before going to work (2-5 minutes approx), and also at other times. This is inconvenient because I want to pre-heat the car, but have to spend that time waiting for the app to get a connection to the car.

It has excellent LTE reception, but no Wifi (I turned off Wifi as the signal was low, thought maybe that was the issue).

Anyone else have this issue or a way to "fix" it? I tried opening the phone and then leaving it, coming back, but then it is back to sleep already with updated charge and temperature.

So my Model 3 often takes a long time to wake from sleep in the morning before going to work (2-5 minutes approx), and also at other times. This is inconvenient because I want to pre-heat the car, but have to spend that time waiting for the app to get a connection to the car.
Do you have a regular departure time? If so, that's exactly what the new "Departure Time" feature does. You set the time, and it pre-conditions the car to be ready and warm/cool for you at that time.

Also, it's weird, because mine takes about 10s to wake.

Do you have a regular departure time? If so, that's exactly what the new "Departure Time" feature does. You set the time, and it pre-conditions the car to be ready and warm/cool for you at that time.

Also, it's weird, because mine takes about 10s to wake.

Unfortunately my schedule is not that exact, so would waste a lot of power. If that feature was in the app, it would be great.

Are you on WiFi?

Mine takes under 10s to wake. And when it goes to sleep, the WiFi connection is dropped (I can see it is no longer on my WiFi AP). So I wouldn't think that turning WiFi off would make any difference.

And I'm not sure why the car would go back to sleep after leaving the App open for a few minutes. Usually take anywhere from 30 mins to a couple of hours to go to sleep for me.

OP, many of us had that problem previously. When my car was delivered, it took forever to wake from sleep. Many times it would time out, and I would have to force close and re open the app, and it would wake up the second time.

Tesla kept telling me that it would be "fixed in an update" and a few updates came and went without it being fixed, but after a few months, it automagically fixed in some update.

I bought my car in december of last year, and I seem to remember the update that "fixed it" being april / may ish? In any case I havent had any problems since then. Likely not of much help, but it sounds like your car is sleeping too deeply which mine was, too.

Assuming you are on a recent update, I would recommend documenting it (seeing how you can repeat it) and then taking it in for tesla SC to see it. When / If you make your appointment, make sure you have a documented date / time that the "wake from sleep long time" issue occured so that someone at tesla can review the logs and find it in there.

Reactions: user212_nr
Even though the departure time is set for weekdays or 7 days, when you get home just change the time every day to what you need the next day. It takes 5 seconds.
I used to turn on my climate when I was brushing my teeth, but sometimes I'd forget. The departure update is so nice. We're spoiled rotten.

Regarding the deep sleep issue, do you have an ok cell signal? The only time it takes me long to wake up my car is when I'm deep inside the building at work. As far as I know WiFi has nothing to do with waking the car up.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I bought my car in december of last year, and I seem to remember the update that "fixed it" being april / may ish? In any case I havent had any problems since then. Likely not of much help, but it sounds like your car is sleeping too deeply which mine was, too.

I sent them a message yesterday suggesting they fix their app (not realizing this was a the bug exactly), and this morning I get a update 2019.36.2.1. Seems to have downloaded over LTE, but can't be 100% sure Wifi was off.

Don't think it is a coincidence, but could be. I think this happened once before that an update downloaded over LTE after a complaint about something.

Even though the departure time is set for weekdays or 7 days, when you get home just change the time every day to what you need the next day. It takes 5 seconds.
I used to turn on my climate when I was brushing my teeth, but sometimes I'd forget. The departure update is so nice. We're spoiled rotten.

Regarding the deep sleep issue, do you have an ok cell signal? The only time it takes me long to wake up my car is when I'm deep inside the building at work. As far as I know WiFi has nothing to do with waking the car up.

I agree with "wifi not needed to wake car from sleep". Its cell signal. connection by cell wakes up car, and if there is wifi, once car wakes up and is in a place with wifi, it will connect.

Reactions: Watts_Up