Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsistent heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all -

Trying to figure out if I have not gotten up a learning curve on the heat or if I have some other thing going on. Took delivery of MY LR in December.

As I live in Chicago I have largely been driving with the heat at 70 since then. Sometimes it is clearly 70 in the car and other times it feels closer to 65. This has happened on longer road trips where the outside is the same.

I cannot recall if this varies between when I use auto vs manually set it.

Trying to figure out if I am just nuts or if there is something I am missing here.

As always, thanks for helping the newbie out.

SirPaon: I find the temp setting unable to keep a constant heat. Like your experience, it seems to vary as much as 5 degrees. I'm figuring the octovalve that's controlling the lifeblood of the Model Y HVAC, battery heating/cooling, is still experiencing some developmental pains.
For me it's only an inconvenience I can live with. If anything, on longish drives with heater blasting, the occasional cool air keeps me awake. Maybe that's by design?
(...none of this proves that you're NOT nuts!...)

This is happening to me, exactly as you describe. It doesn't seem at all like the people who lose heat entirely—it's just a fluctuation of roughly 5ºF. For what it's worth I use the iOS app Tessie to track drives, and one of the items it tracks is cabin temperature; it reports a perfectly steady temperature on drives where there was definitely felt variation in the actual cabin temperature. It's annoying but I've honestly figured it's so hard to replicate that it's not worth bringing up with the service center.

2021 model year, VIN 79XXX

Grab a thermometer and compare it against your setting. Take a picture and update your post.

I generally leave mine at 70 in manual mode, but have been increasing/reducing the temp setting to make sure it works after reading all of these HVAC failure threads.

Hey all -

Trying to figure out if I have not gotten up a learning curve on the heat or if I have some other thing going on. Took delivery of MY LR in December.

As I live in Chicago I have largely been driving with the heat at 70 since then. Sometimes it is clearly 70 in the car and other times it feels closer to 65. This has happened on longer road trips where the outside is the same.

I cannot recall if this varies between when I use auto vs manually set it.

Trying to figure out if I am just nuts or if there is something I am missing here.

As always, thanks for helping the newbie out.

Just food for thought, the temperature sensor is under the screen. I wonder if keeping the phone charger door up limits some airflow which causes some temp issues? This along with some faulty sensors.
It would depend on whether the Model Y had the original, i.e. Classic, center console or the new console. The new console does not have a cover that can be flipped down over the charging pad.