Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After being outside in the cold overnight in the garage, my 2016 MS car still shows it is warmer than the outside. My wife's MYLR shows it is at least 10 degrees cooler than mine and they are side by side. It is not in camp, dog or any other mode to keep the heat on. The service center could not figure it out and gave up.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could the seat heaters or steering wheel be on shutting off? Battery Pack warmer? I am stumped.

While I don't know for sure, here are several ideas:
1) The 2016 S, an older design, may keep more electronics on than the Y, keeping it warmer.
2) Perhaps the temperature sensor in the S is closer to things that remain powered on than in the Y. Once the car is moving, airflow would make the two cars show the same temperature.
3) Is there something on one side of your garage (i.e. housewall) that is warmer and closer to the S? Switching the car positions would identify if this is the case if the temperatures switch when the cars are moved.
4) The battery will be warmed when charging - are the cars charged at different times?