Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase grid charging rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

Im on a power rate that allows for free electricity from 9pm to midnight and I’d like to maximise the rate that I fill up the Powerwall Through grid charging. At the moment it seems to only fill up at 1.3KW an hour and it would be nice to double this.
It is a setting in the gateway; from your other issues, it sounds to me like your installer didn't fully configure your system. I'd invite them back to finish things, and then check their work by throwing the main disconnect to see if the system behaves the way we think it should...

Good luck,

BG

Reactions: jhn_ and jjrandorin
Howdy,

Im on a power rate that allows for free electricity from 9pm to midnight and I’d like to maximise the rate that I fill up the Powerwall Through grid charging. At the moment it seems to only fill up at 1.3KW an hour and it would be nice to double this.
My experience is you can get different charging rates depending on the powerwall mode, it does also depend on your solar size and history.

I see 1.7 kW charging rate if I move the backup reserve higher.
I see 3.4 kW charging rate if I put into 'backup' mode via the CloudAPI call.
I see 5 kw charging rate if you put into Time Based Control and have your offpeak/ superoff peak costs set correctly.

For your situation it sounds like setting up Time Based Control with a Super OffPeak window from 1200-2359 would get the fastest charging rate.