Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased charging performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I noticed that Tesla's adapter charge chart might've changed a little. IIRC the model 3 and Y share same charging speeds per the adapters. However I noticed the chart now shows Model 3 to be a bit faster than the Y for the L2 adapters. ie 14-50 and 6-50. Any guesses?

1718941356029.png

Hello,

I noticed that Tesla's adapter charge chart might've changed a little. IIRC the model 3 and Y share same charging speeds per the adapters. However I noticed the chart now shows Model 3 to be a bit faster than the Y for the L2 adapters. ie 14-50 and 6-50. Any guesses?

View attachment 1058348

Miles per hour is not a useful comparator between different models.

They charge at exactly the same power level but the 3 is more efficient than the Y, thus gains more “miles” for the same amount of energy added to the pack.

Upvote 0
Because the Model 3 is more efficient. It’s not charging faster than the Model Y. The charging rate in kW would be the same between the two cars. It’s just the Model 3 can go further for the same amount of energy charged into the battery.

Miles per hour of charge is a terrible way to measure charge rate. Best to just compare by kW or voltage/amperage.

Upvote 0
Hello,

View attachment 1058348
A 5-15 can give 12A/120V or ~1.4kw/hr which will give about a new M3 RWD or LR about 5 miles (8km) of range per hour of charge. A 5-20 will give up to 120v/16A and ~1.9kw/hr of charge or about 7 miles/hr of charge.

Upvote 0
A 5-15 draws 1.44 kW from the wall, but at 85% charging efficiency and ~300 W overhead from the car being on, puts maybe 1 kW into the battery at best, which matches the 3 mi/hr figure in the Model 3 chart above.

The Model Y figures are updated to reflect the downward revision of Model Y EPA range starting in 2024.

Upvote 0
A 5-15 draws 1.44 kW from the wall, but at 85% charging efficiency and ~300 W overhead from the car being on, puts maybe 1 kW into the battery at best, which matches the 3 mi/hr figure in the Model 3 chart above.

The Model Y figures are updated to reflect the downward revision of Model Y EPA range starting in 2024.
Not in my experience, as the overhead is about 200-250w and 1kw from the HV battery = ~4.25 miles of EPA range for an LFP M3 RWD. I get about 1.6% SOC/hr increase when charging at 110v/10A.

Upvote 0