Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increasing SOC without charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several times, in the last few days, my LR RWD has uncharacteristically gained abnormally high calculated range while parked.... It appears that something has changed from historical operation, similar to some of the above observations. For example, today, I gained 15 miles on 120 mile when parked. I have seen a few miles increase in the past when parked, but nothing like this.

The added range does not appear to be "real" added range, as the gain appears to diminish at a greater rate.

Last edited:
M3 SR+ V10.2(2020.36.10), Left the house at 92%, just completed charging so the battery was warm, and arrived at the first destination with 88%. In the 30 minutes I was parked and waiting in the car with just the radio on, the SOC is now 90%.

this is normal. happens in particular in hot climates. Usually an increase of around 2% after the car has rested. I wonder if it has something to do with the car adjusting the voltage for hot climate (i.e. undervolts the estimate to make sure you dont overcharge the car as the battery will show higher voltage in the heat).

this is normal. happens in particular in hot climates. Usually an increase of around 2% after the car has rested. I wonder if it has something to do with the car adjusting the voltage for hot climate (i.e. undervolts the estimate to make sure you dont overcharge the car as the battery will show higher voltage in the heat).

60F is not a hot climate and this "issue" didn't appear until .28 software I think.

60F is not a hot climate and this "issue" didn't appear until .28 software I think.

i have had it ever since i got the car middle of last year. it happens all the time if temps get above 35 here. what probably happenes is that the hot road heats up the battery and increases the voltage and hence the %SOC. the bms adjusts for that but doesnt do a perfect job so tends to understate voltage. when the car sits and cools down it then gets a more accurate reading and increasesnthe %soc.

i could imaginr this also happening in colder climates after a long drive and doing a shallow recharge for 30min or so after.

Reactions: flyingowl
For the last month this has happened to me too(I've owned mine for 12 months).
At first I thought something was wrong with the car or my charging station. I get the notification that the car is charged in the middle of the night. When I go to unplug it has gained 3-4 miles of range. That has been happening after almost every charge.
Up until September I had never seen this before. It beats the opposite happening lol.