Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info from Tesla - 277v feed to Wall Connector (HPWC) - Which Cars Support It

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe even the very first Model S chargers supported 277 Volt. After all, they were used in the early V1 superchargers. Of course that was never official back then. I doubt we will see this catch on. Pubic L2 chargers are about 50/50 208 Volt vs 240 Volt. I haven't watched the video, just wondering if a public L2 station has 277 Volt, will it be able to step down to 240 Volt for cars that don't support it? That would require a semi expensive hardware.

...just watched the video. Very well made and informative!

Last edited:
I believe even the very first Model S chargers supported 277 Volt. After all, they were used in the early V1 superchargers. Of course that was never official back then. I doubt we will see this catch on. Pubic L2 chargers are about 50/50 208 Volt vs 240 Volt. I haven't watched the video, just wondering if a public L2 station has 277 Volt, will it be able to step down to 240 Volt for cars that don't support it? That would require a semi expensive hardware.
Correct. I charged my 2014 w/ dual chargers at an 80A/277V HPWC back in the day:

80at264small-jpg.761691

Correct. I charged my 2014 w/ dual chargers at an 80A/277V HPWC back in the day [...]
It seems that 277V charging is becoming a thing again with SAE J3400. Does anyone tried to charge recent Tesla cars with 277V? Are there 277V destination chargers in the wild?

Learned a lot reading this thread and watching that youtube video. I was reading the comments on the video and finally came to an answer of my question, what happens to pre-existing cars with J1772, when you put a tesla AC nacs adapter on there, but with 277v power coming in from a 480v building power? Old Teslas can handle 277v, newer Teslas probably can (it seemes since j3400 was supported by Tesla new Teslas also can). But the yt comments say existing/older j1772 cars can have problems with 277v:

@EngineeringPerspective 2 months ago
Great explanation! the MAIN point is cheaper Level 2 installations but as you rightly pointed out, what will happen to existing J1772 vehicles...? For the good of the EV future, they need to start handing out these J3400 Level 2 277V EVSEs like candy. So many commercial building owners are very reluctant to install the Level 2 chargers due to cost.​
@EVBuyersGuide 2 months ago
At the moment it would only benefit Tesla and could physically damage pre J3400 EVs/PHEVs. That would be a big problem. -Travis​