Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info on small rear corner window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...ugher-penalties-car-break-ins-property-theft/

...“Smash-and-grabs and stealing valuables are not just petty crimes,” Chu said in a statement, saying break-ins cause “real economic hardship and stress for many families.”

“The Bay Area is seeing rampant disregard for people’s property and there are criminal organizations committing these crimes methodically and frequently. Increasing penalties and making these crimes a felonious offense will deter potential criminals and keep our communities safe,” Chu went on to say...

Last edited:
here are my 3d printed 'locks'. more visual than actual real hard locking but anything that looks like its harder than the next car - that MAY help him pass you by and pick the easier car.

View attachment 504768 View attachment 504770

uses mailbox or filing cabling ($5) locks that you find in office stores or hardware stores. there's a cam that is printed and that's what turns and holds under the plastic seat bezel.

mine are in PLA plastic but I plan to have them professional made (shapeways, etc) in ABS so that they will withstand car temp swings. (PLA is just a test print to try this out).

I will probably pick black for the final color and use chrome for the lock, so that its seen but not too inviting.

just an idea. doing nothing is not an option, imho.
do you have the 3d print file for this you can share?

do you have the 3d print file for this you can share?

thank you! i love that you printed it in red. i'm going to print this and try the rpmtelsa protective film...
hate seeing stuff like this:

Not that this is Tesla-specific but car break-ins in the city of SF are nuts (all makes are broken into). I just saw I-TEAM EXCLUSIVE: Fencing operation video shows what happens after car break-ins but was from my recording on my TiVo.

I don't live in the city of SF so I had no idea Garfield Square is a popular location for stolen items (usually tech products) to be fenced. Not surprisingly, all the cars featured in it had heavily tinted windows. That's been super common for the cars of porch pirates that have been caught on camera in my neighbor and for thieves that strike during daylight.

Typically the thieves are driving rental cars with stolen plates on them. They seem to rent for at least a few weeks and go to the trouble of dark tinting the rental car windows before heading out on their daily foray around the bay area. It is basically their "job" to just keep doing this over and over and over. Even if they get arrested, they tend to get out in only days or weeks and just head right back to it again once they are out. ( California has really weak laws on this sort of crime. The police and district attorneys can be disinterested in arresting and prosecuting because they know the judicial system will tend to do almost nothing in response. )

Some stories I read described a common theme:
* The driver is a higher level gang member from Sacramento, and gets their "girlfriend" to rent a car for them.
* They drive over to Oakland and buy some stolen plates off the street from some drug addicts looking for some quick cash for their next fix.
* They put the word out that they need some junior gang members to hop in and head on the road for their smash and grab routine.
* They are training new young recruits all the time to make a quick buck doing this crap.

There are plenty of other scenarios, but the above seems to be the "career criminal" M.O. that has been making this such an epidemic.