Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install layout, main/sub/gateway/inverter inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
03CFBDF0-2CDA-4CDC-8CE3-A5FDB0071BE4.jpeg My electrician should be out Sunday to begin the new install of a 200 amp panel and a 125 amp sub panel. There will be space left in the middle for the gateway. I’m not sure how big the solar inverter is, but ideally I would like to see that mounted in the center.

Does anyone have the dimensions for the inverter? I asked a Tesla and got the dimensions for the gateway, but he didn’t send the dimensions for the solar inverter.

A diagram of the layout is attached. I know Tesla wants 8 inches between the panels, but the height, trying to squeeze the inverter in will make it a little awkward.

When this is done, only the solar disconnect will be outside. Thanks.

get online and look it up, the brand should be listed in the solar layout.
i don't know why you are installing new main panel and sub panel?

here is what i'm thinking for my layout. with a feeder between the gateway and the solar disconnect and taps for the main panels. i have two existing 200A panels and 320A service.

Attachments

• solar equipment layout.JPG
    solar equipment layout.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 65
I have a 6 breaker main panel, the house was built in the 50’s. The upgrade is required, and I am relocating my service entrance, main and wiring the sub panel using an electrician. I wasn’t given a particular model, so I could look things up but I wouldn’t know which model I would have for around 5-6kw of solar. Nice set up you have.

I have a 6 breaker main panel, the house was built in the 50’s. The upgrade is required, and I am relocating my service entrance, main and wiring the sub panel using an electrician. I wasn’t given a particular model, so I could look things up but I wouldn’t know which model I would have for around 5-6kw of solar. Nice set up you have.
Have you considered micro inverters on each panel?

@roofsolartexas I hope you are moving the service panel for good reason. The 6 breaker main panel (main lug only) affords you the opportunity to push 125A (your service panel) of regeneration to the grid. It is a very special electrical setup that turns out to be a very inexpensive approach for Tesla PW installation. I have a 2003 home with a main lug only metered service panel. You just need to drop in a single 125A branch breaker and you are good to go downstream. No derating main breakers needed. Tesla tried to push me to do the Main Panel Upgrade, and steered them towards the no cost option. My entire home (minus A/C and EV charging) is behind the 125A branch breaker feeding the gateway. Tesla relocated a few of the service panel into the backup panel via splices. I see in the hand sketch you indicated 125A which caught my eye. If you are going to upgrade 200A service, then never mind what I said.

Last edited: