Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install yoke steering wheel on Model Y - Need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I wanted a yoke on my Y for quite some time and finally think the latest models are easy enough to install so I got this: Custom Tesla Model 3 Y Yoke Steering Wheel Upgrade | Hansshow (Installation video:
).

Man I could not even do the very first step, to get off the airbag. I am pretty sure I pushed the clips on both sides, and the airbag pops loosen. However I just couldn't pull it off...

I just don't have confidence to install it myself now. I know it is dumb but where can I find someone to install it for me?? I thought there should be Tesla customization businesses but couldn't find any other than exterior.

Yeah... When I put my yoke in, I had the exact same issue. Everyone and their dog shows it in their vids like it's rolling out of bed (getting the airbag retention clip loose with whatever tool/s they're using), but for me...I couldn't for the life of me "feel" whatever the f*#$ I was supposed to be "feeling" for. Of course, right when I was about to throw in the towel, I gave it one more try and POP...I got one side to pop loose. That's when I finally learned what to be "feeling" for in there...

You can kind of think about the retention clip as being like a V shaped wire... What you need to do is push this wire together, which will release the airbag retention posts on either side. This clip is toward the front of the steering wheel cavity...as in...toward the hood/frunk/front of the car.

Just take your time, be gentle and try your best to "feel" your way through... You can do it, but I totally understand how much of a PIA it is the FIRST time. After doing it once though...I think I could do a whole steering wheel swap in less than 15 minutes now! LOL

You have to push from both side at the same time, but there are actually three pins that need to be release. By pushing both side equally, you are releasing the third pin in the middle as well. It's not intuitive. You'll get it!

Thank you all. I will definitely give it another try.

I was afraid of the airbag to explode as well -- I did not disconnect the 12V battery but just turned of the car as the instruction said. However the screen kept turning back on for no reason when I was trying to pop the airbag out.

Thank you all. I will definitely give it another try.

I was afraid of the airbag to explode as well -- I did not disconnect the 12V battery but just turned of the car as the instruction said. However the screen kept turning back on for no reason when I was trying to pop the airbag out.
IMHO it’s a must to disconnect both 12v and disconnect the HV while you’re at it. You can never be too safe when dealing with something that could kill you.