Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed Rear Lighted Applique on Model 3 -- gets much attention from drivers behind me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the first developer (five years ago) of the lighted real applique for the Model S, I wanted to do the same for the my Model 3 as kind of proof of concept. Of all the accessories for the S I added, that's the one I miss the most. Unlike the S version, I wanted to keep this first version simple: It would only light red and have none of the multi color special effects of the S version.

So I bought a used Model S rear applique on eBay and modified it to fit the 3. Bought the TESLA letters for tesla-light.org and 3 thin rectangular COB LEDs to light the thing. Here's a link to a thread that shows much of the work in progress.

A few pics of the installed version are provided below. The installed version lights red when the license plate lights are on (taps the license plate lamp power)

I'm enough pleased with the results that I'll probably develop a new version that brightens with the brake lights. And if that works I'll probably buy all the parts for Jurgen Balitsky at tesla-lights.org and make one that works like the one for the Model S. Jurgen is now the exclusive source for the Model S lighted appliqué and he's advanced the technology considerably.

IMG_0893.jpeg
IMG_0877.jpeg
IMG_0889.jpeg