Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

instead of saying sustainable energy why not say health of our citizenry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people question the popular climate change narrative. And sustainable energy is too far in the future for them to care. But the one thing they/we are certain of is cancer among our friends and family. To be honest the term sustainable energy/ future in my mind I just associated it with climate change. From several articles sustainable energy is a thing and it can run out or become very expensive to get. But cancer and other health problems we are all aware of. Is it linkable to gasoline automobile exhaust I'm not sure, definitely to diesel exhaust fumes. If you live around refineries and other petrochemical manufacturing plants you know of friends and family who have had suffered from health issues and cancer deaths, particularly those that work in those facilities.

Enlightening people who are ignorant to EVs for environmental reasons, especially in this region, simply won't work. I think it's important to understand your audience and then select items from the long list of positive reasons you bought. This will cause them to want to further investigate on their own and hopefully they find some good, neutral info to broaden their perspective.

Of course, this requires asking the other person and getting to know them at least on a high-level which so few people are willing to do these days. But if you're willing to have this conversation from an amicable 2-way conversation, I've found that the reception of the info I'm able to provide to be quite positive.

My goal though isn't to convert them like some religious fanatic spreading the good word of Elon and teaching from the Book Of Tesla. I'm more just trying to present them with info that I didn't have early on that triggered the part of my brain that wanted to go deep down that rabbit hole to learn all I could on the subject. You quickly find that much of what you thought to be true about EVs is early on if your motivation is honest information gathering.

Here's exactly what I tell most people:

"I didn't buy a Tesla to save the environment. I bought a Tesla because it's the best vehicle I've ever driven. If it ran on the tears of clubbed baby seals, I'd still drive it. (pause for laughter due to obvious sarcasm) Honestly, I don't get into the environmental aspect but we don't own anything that uses gasoline. From our yard tools to our vehicles... nothing. People often tell me that we get our electricity from coal so it's not clean. Good, I'm glad. that's what makes it 1/10th what we paid for gas when we had gas cars. As our provider shifts to sustainable energy generation, our positive impact will be magnified. More important to me, my family doesn't use gas or oil for anything. All of our household's energy needs are met domestically. That means that we don't send a single dime to foreign interests like the Middle East and Russia. To me, that's one of the most important aspects of going to EVs that often gets overshadowed by the environment conversation. All of our money stays in the US and creates US jobs which are dwindling at a rapid rate."

That's the condensed version which will usually spark several questions which I'm happy to answer. They always go to the hot button topics that they're inundated with which typically don't apply to your day-to-day life as an EV owner anyway. I spend as much time as I have available trying to reset the important aspects of being an EV owner though.

Honestly, beating people over the head with the environmental thing was the only selling point of a GM EV1. Now that we have what is basically the best car in nearly every important metric of what makes a good car... choose from things that the average person actually cares about if you truly want to open people's minds to what is a better option for most than the antiquated way they've just always done things.

Cancer also happens because smoking, chemicals being sprayed on our food/being put in our food, genetic predisposition, other forms of pollution like toxic waste leaking from factories into our soil/drinking water and so on. Remember asbestos? Do you know how long it took for DDT to be banned? How about something as simple as talcum powder?

You can’t change people’s minds by changing the terminology. That’s not how it works. Nor will you ever get everyone on the same page. You realize people still smoke, right? Despite irrefutable evidence it causes cancer. Millions still smoke. You know why, right?

People still break laws; speed, steal, rape, murder. They still make, sell, use drugs. Despite fines, despite going to jail, despite being killed. You know why, right?

Stop worrying about what other people think or do. Not your problem. Simply do better yourself. Lead by example. Encourage those who approach you and ask for your help. Whether they’re simply asking a question about your EV or about how to manage slugs in your backyard garden without chemicals.

It’s admirable that you care enough to be thinking how to get more people headed in a better direction. Stop overthinking. Just do. Those who are supposed to get it, will see you, and follow.

Reactions: Ridgeline and SO16
Cancer also happens because smoking, chemicals being sprayed on our food/being put in our food, genetic predisposition, other forms of pollution like toxic waste leaking from factories into our soil/drinking water and so on. Remember asbestos? Do you know how long it took for DDT to be banned? How about something as simple as talcum powder?

You can’t change people’s minds by changing the terminology. That’s not how it works. Nor will you ever get everyone on the same page. You realize people still smoke, right? Despite irrefutable evidence it causes cancer. Millions still smoke. You know why, right?

People still break laws; speed, steal, rape, murder. They still make, sell, use drugs. Despite fines, despite going to jail, despite being killed. You know why, right?

Stop worrying about what other people think or do. Not your problem. Simply do better yourself. Lead by example. Encourage those who approach you and ask for your help. Whether they’re simply asking a question about your EV or about how to manage slugs in your backyard garden without chemicals.

It’s admirable that you care enough to be thinking how to get more people headed in a better direction. Stop overthinking. Just do. Those who are supposed to get it, will see you, and follow.
This is pretty much it. I just try to be a good ambassador and, for me anyway, I'm genuinely not trying to save the earth. I just do what is best for me and mine and if others see that as an example of what's better for others... great. I also happen to believe it's better for the environment so... bonus.

I can't tell you how many of my friends over the last half dozen years or more have said to me "You're my gear-head buddy though. I always knew you as the guy who could fix and modify any car. But now you own EVs?" to which I simply say "That should tell you something then, right?" and leave it at that. People also know me know that I'm a pretty smart fella who typically knows more about these types of things than the average consumer.

Based on all of that, the ones who are also open minded to a better way will also do their own research or reach out to me for more info which they know I'm not only a good resource but I'm not agenda-driven with my info. I will tell them the good and the bad of EV ownership, especially Tesla as there's plenty of both. If I come at them from an obviously motivated position then they're not going to trust that my info is based on my honest and independent experience. Why would they seek me out for further info? I wouldn't.

In the end, just approach others as you'd want to be approached if you were in their shoes. This can only come by understanding them and what being in their shoes is like though through basic understanding of them as a person and their motivations. Y'know... human interactions. Then just don't be a dick and try to be helpful with your info. Basic due unto others and all of that.

The OP is advocating tweaks at the fringes. I am all for improving the environment and health, but EV adoption will only take off when the economics make them as or more compelling than ICE vehicles - it's that simple. Fortunately we may well reach that point in the next few years.

Most people don't know or much care about the environment despite what they may say, you need only watch your friends and neighbors behavior to see that. What people say isn't nearly as indicative as their actual behavior. Same with health, just start with the levels of obesity in the USA and go from there.

The United States makes up roughly 5% of the world’s population, yet consumes 25% of the world’s resources. Let's break this down even more. According to an article published in Scientific American, David Tilford of the Sierra Club stated “With less than 5 percent of world population, the U.S. uses one-third of the world’s paper, a quarter of the world’s oil, 23 percent of the coal, 27 percent of the aluminum, and 19 percent of the copper,” he reports. “Our per capita use of energy, metals, minerals, forest products, fish, grains, meat, and even freshwater dwarfs that of people living in the developing world.” The percentage of waste created is similarly disheartening: Americans create an estimated 30% of the world’s waste. We aren’t the only developed country taking more than our fair share, but we could do better.

These Are the Healthiest Countries in the World, According to a 2023 Study. The United States did not make the top 10 (it currently sits at position 45).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Enlightening people who are ignorant to EVs for environmental reasons, especially in this region, simply won't work. I think it's important to understand your audience and then select items from the long list of positive reasons you bought. This will cause them to want to further investigate on their own and hopefully they find some good, neutral info to broaden their perspective.

Of course, this requires asking the other person and getting to know them at least on a high-level which so few people are willing to do these days. But if you're willing to have this conversation from an amicable 2-way conversation, I've found that the reception of the info I'm able to provide to be quite positive.

My goal though isn't to convert them like some religious fanatic spreading the good word of Elon and teaching from the Book Of Tesla. I'm more just trying to present them with info that I didn't have early on that triggered the part of my brain that wanted to go deep down that rabbit hole to learn all I could on the subject. You quickly find that much of what you thought to be true about EVs is early on if your motivation is honest information gathering.

Here's exactly what I tell most people:

"I didn't buy a Tesla to save the environment. I bought a Tesla because it's the best vehicle I've ever driven. If it ran on the tears of clubbed baby seals, I'd still drive it. (pause for laughter due to obvious sarcasm) Honestly, I don't get into the environmental aspect but we don't own anything that uses gasoline. From our yard tools to our vehicles... nothing. People often tell me that we get our electricity from coal so it's not clean. Good, I'm glad. that's what makes it 1/10th what we paid for gas when we had gas cars. As our provider shifts to sustainable energy generation, our positive impact will be magnified. More important to me, my family doesn't use gas or oil for anything. All of our household's energy needs are met domestically. That means that we don't send a single dime to foreign interests like the Middle East and Russia. To me, that's one of the most important aspects of going to EVs that often gets overshadowed by the environment conversation. All of our money stays in the US and creates US jobs which are dwindling at a rapid rate."

That's the condensed version which will usually spark several questions which I'm happy to answer. They always go to the hot button topics that they're inundated with which typically don't apply to your day-to-day life as an EV owner anyway. I spend as much time as I have available trying to reset the important aspects of being an EV owner though.

Honestly, beating people over the head with the environmental thing was the only selling point of a GM EV1. Now that we have what is basically the best car in nearly every important metric of what makes a good car... choose from things that the average person actually cares about if you truly want to open people's minds to what is a better option for most than the antiquated way they've just always done things.
I like and agree with all your comments especially "it's the best car vehicle I've ever owned". I've stopped trying to convince anyone, unless asked. the idea of switching from the environment and climate change to one's health is something that only recently occurred to me.