Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance and Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I had ceramic coating done on my new Tesla Model 3. I called my insurer (NRMA) to let them know. The operator I spoke wasn't sure if it was covered, and said it may even void my policy altogether. If re-application of the coating is not covered then that is OK, but to void the policy seems ridiculous. I asked her to speak to others, and they weren't sure. Hard to believe they haven't come across a Tesla owner querying ceramic coating before. I made it clear that it wasn't wrapping or painting.
Anyone else with NRMA that has queried this one with them in the past?
Many Thanks.

I informed them because:
1. I thought it may be covered if I were to make a claim down the track, but more importantly:
2. If the insurance company discovered it had ceramic coating and I hadn't informed them, then they may refuse to pay a claim for the fact of non-disclosure (ie. refuse to pay for the entire claim, not just for any ceramic restoration)

Upvote 0
Hello,
I had ceramic coating done on my new Tesla Model 3. I called my insurer (NRMA) to let them know. The operator I spoke wasn't sure if it was covered, and said it may even void my policy altogether. If re-application of the coating is not covered then that is OK, but to void the policy seems ridiculous. I asked her to speak to others, and they weren't sure. Hard to believe they haven't come across a Tesla owner querying ceramic coating before. I made it clear that it wasn't wrapping or painting.
Anyone else with NRMA that has queried this one with them in the past?
Many Thanks.
I'd heard Tesla's were very expensive to insure and an English bloke chimed in to say that they wouldn't even insure vehicles with PPF over there. I checked with the mob that I've insured our Benz with (Youi) and the quote for the LR with replacement hire care, windows etc was $1,200 p.a. Not overly expensive I didn't think but when I said I was going to get PPF she told me it's of no concern with no added premium.

Upvote 0
I informed them because:
1. I thought it may be covered if I were to make a claim down the track, but more importantly:
2. If the insurance company discovered it had ceramic coating and I hadn't informed them, then they may refuse to pay a claim for the fact of non-disclosure (ie. refuse to pay for the entire claim, not just for any ceramic restoration)
Good to know! Never considered this.

Upvote 0
I advised my insurer of ceramic coating. It had no premium impact. When made a claim it went to the detailer one month (cure time required) after the painter for coating of the relevant panel. Insurer didnt want to keep the claim open for a month and so they just paid the cash equivalent to me for the detailers quoted cost. Not nrma though.

Upvote 0
I am with NRMA and have comprehensive plus which covers extras. My rear bumper had to be repainted due to some idiot that decided not to stop. I mentioned it to the repairer I have ceramic coating and he send us the original invoice (to prove that it was done) and have the place that did it send us an invoice to have the bumper coated again. They forwarded it on to NRMA who paid it and 6 weeks later my bumper was done. No issues at all.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for all of the responses. I called NRMA again this morning and the operator I got this time told me that ceramic is no problem and will be covered, as long as it fits in to the market/agreed value dollar-wise. Also, looking through the online quoting process and the PDS, there's nothing to suggest that ceramic is an issue. It's a bit annoying that they don't have an internal knowledgebase to get straight answers from for such queries, as the operator I spoke to yesterday had to run around trying to get an answer (had me on hold for about 40 minutes) and then came back with no firm answer.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: paulp and RichardV
Upvote 0