Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Quote Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, we are looking at the insurance for out Model 3 and they have a question about alarms and I'm not sure how to answer. Anyone else know?

Audible
Boomerang-Lojack
Electronic Immobilizer
Impact
Intensive Anti-theft marking (Sherlock)
Installed by manufacturer - anti-theft chip
Mechanical Immobilizer
Monitored Tracking
VIN etching
Anti-theft marking/etching (Auto-Lock)
Anti-theft marking/etching (Guardian)
Anti-theft marking/etching (Otto-Protect)
Anti-theft marking/etching (VIN-Lock)
Monitored Tracking/Marking Tag

And of course, is the etching actually really worth it? Void warranty?

I think for Model 3 you can pick at least these from your list: "Audible" & "Monitored Tracking". Maybe also these: "Electronic Immobilizer" & "Installed by manufacturer - anti-theft chip"?.
It might actually not make any difference if you select or have even more features from that list, like the etching for example, that you are asking about. The idea for insurance might be just to see if the vehicle qualifies for the "Anti-theft discount". So if at least one of those listed by you is on the vehicle, then they can give a discount.
I'll just give an example: in my case with TD, I see that they picked: "Vehicle protection(s): Tracking system". This allowed the get the "Anti-theft discount".

It doesn't make any sense to not consider OEM security systems as valid. Especially on Tesla's.

I can see how it could make sense.

An insurance company might know that the security system is standard equipment. It might then incorporate that information into its pricing of every policy of that make & model of a vehicle.

It might seem redundant to have to calculate the security system reduction on a car-by-car basis when every car will be getting it.

Same experience here with TDMM not counting OEM as a security system. I just switched to them and specifically asked about it plus sentry and they said 'no'. Even OnStar which can track and disable a stolen car doesnt count (both my previous volts and my wifes bolt had this, but no discount with State Farm).

FWIW, Allstate told me the same, so its an industry standard 'middle finger' to us customers it seems....the model 3 system is arguably better than many on the list, but like others said: when was the last time insurance companies offered something because it was the right thing to do? :rolleyes:

Funny thing is in fact the model 3 has many functions listed in the OPs list like impact, audible, immobilization (I believe the model 3 can be shut down remotely by tesla if necessary?), and it for sure has location tracking through the app....

I can see how it could make sense.
An insurance company might know that the security system is standard equipment. It might then incorporate that information into its pricing of every policy of that make & model of a vehicle.
It might seem redundant to have to calculate the security system reduction on a car-by-car basis when every car will be getting it.
Yeah, if they can keep track of which models & trims already have a good anti-theft system as standard equipment, they should just include that discount by default, without even asking. Otherwise it will look like the insurance companies value aftermarket installed accessories over OEM systems that perform the same function.

So far, none of the systems that quote competitive quotes have come up with a competitive quote. The best offer so far was one that offers only a $1000 deductible, but doesn't have an enhanced policy. One that offers a $500 deductible but requires me to run my data when I drive the car, but doesn't include new parts, even if it's a new car. And finally one that wants to sign up for a 4 year term.

Is it really this crazy? I can't believe that Kanetix can't even give one ONE quote.