Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance refusing to cover some damage from rear end accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard for me to even comment, can’t get past the shock that someone is paying $750 per month for car insurance!

True, but we do not know any additional information:

drivers age and driving history
any other cars on the insurance as well

LOL, i normally would not have believed it, however late last year I was paying that as my wife had gotten into an accident and my daughter (18) had gotten into two different accidents.

Geico was charging us about $850!

Finally dropped them!

I see a lot of people downing Geico, but when I traded my previous 2018 EV for my M3, my insurance only went up 20$ per month. Yes, you read correctly... $20. I changed nothing on my policy but swapping out the car. If you haven't noticed, i to live in SoCal. I've also not had any tickets or accidents ... ever. *knock on wood*

I see a lot of people downing Geico, but when I traded my previous 2018 EV for my M3, my insurance only went up 20$ per month. Yes, you read correctly... $20. I changed nothing on my policy but swapping out the car. If you haven't noticed, i to live in SoCal. I've also not had any tickets or accidents ... ever. *knock on wood*

Yeah your insurance is good now, but if you ever need to use it, they're gonna fight you tooth and nail on everything. I'm crossing my fingers for you though

Reactions: SoCalDriver
Thank you, that's excellent advise! I've never taken anyone to trial before. Would I have any risk of the company counter suing to recover their legal costs afterwards?

You dont have to do go trial, nor would you probably win. Courts are highly skewed in corporations' favor these days. Nobody here giving you ideas has read the contract you've signed or the insurance policy fine print. They have a LOT of leeway.

But if they don't show, you win. Therefore, the purpose is to get their legal team to walk over to the claims team, and say "This will cost $x to send our attorney to court, does it cost <$x to fix the window?".

If they want to go to court, you just dont show up. Or you can cancel it. Or you can fight them. Etc.

The point is that they will likely not waste more $. They have budgets for this stuff. Only 1% of people actually sue them, and its easier to pay those complainers off. Etc.

I'm not giving advice on what you should do, but you can read more about small claims and how it can help people. Its worked for me...I never went to court..but they put you on the phone with a "VIP customer service rep" who's goal it is to end things ASAP, or you just get a letter saying "Hi ok we've made that change please sign here to cancel the small claims suit. Thanks bye."

Courts are highly skewed in corporations' favor these days

This literally could not be farther from the truth... ESPECIALLY if you live in California. Most companies will just pay money to make a problem go away.

I've seen policies north of $25,000 per six months. (not mine, I work for an insurance company)

Without going into too much detail... why was it so high? That’s outrageous!!!

That is what I hear -- until age 25 premiums are high.

;)
Yeah, 25 seems to be right around the age where people start realizing they aren’t invincible. I’m well past that, but don’t get me wrong, I still do a bunch of stupid stuff and act like I’m 12, just not while hurling down the road in a couple of tons of metal at high rates of speed.

Let’s have a show of hands. How many of you have driven well over 100 miles per hour on public highways? How old were you last time you did it?

Edit: yes, I’m old enough now to yell “get off my lawn,” :D You know you are maturing when a Friday night involves going out to get some weed killer instead of going out to get some killer weed!

Just as another data point - not trying to turn this into a p*ssing contest - but when my 2017 Bolt was totaled in February, Travelers *reduced* my premium by $10/m for my new LR AWD. They were also really great through the process, made in very easy.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
This literally could not be farther from the truth... ESPECIALLY if you live in California. Most companies will just pay money to make a problem go away.

You have no idea what you're talking about and have an elementary understanding of this topic. The reason companies want to avoid court has nothing to do with whether they win or not.

If you reread what I wrote, you'll see that I agree the company will not want to go to court and he will likely get satisfaction.

You have no idea what you're talking about and have an elementary understanding of this topic. The reason companies want to avoid court has nothing to do with whether they win or not.

If you reread what I wrote, you'll see that I agree the company will not want to go to court and he will likely get satisfaction.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I will say, though, that the more I look at your profile picture the more I like that combo!

Now I'm at a loss of what to do. Should I keep pestering the insurance asking them to cover it? Would threatening with legal action help? Is my only option to make a separate claim about it and pay my deductible?

It is not uncommon for the initial inspection to not uncover all of the damage to the car, so I don't buy their excuse.

If you file a claim with your insurance, their can do one of three things:

1) Deny it, because they can claim that it is a manufacturing defect.
2) Treat it as a result of the rear-end collision, and waive your deductible. Since it is the same company, they don't need to go after some other company to get your deductible back.
3) Treat it as a result of some other accident, and your deductible would apply.

I'm currently with Geico, so it's more like $9,000 per year. This is for 5 drivers and 5 vehicles. Coverage for my wife and I is about $300 per month. My parents and sister pay the remaining $450.

Having had replaced the front windshield before for ~$1,000 or so last time, I expect the rear windshield to be more pricey. Enough to pay 4 months or so worth of insurance.

Weirdly enough, those inspection photos are actually tiny thumbnails with no way to expand them. Guess I'll have to call the adjuster for the originals.
Were you able to contact the adjuster and get copies of the pictures?

I've heard Geico is the worst insurance for Teslas, right next to AAA. Especially when it comes to anything glass related, for some reason.

Geico is the worst insurance for any car, if you need to file a claim against their policy. They will reject, deny, delay, and insist on using used / 3rd rate replacement parts, at every turn.
Geico is one of the best if you are shopping for low monthly premiums.

Somehow, folks fail to correlate the above two observations, until it's too late.

For OP - take it to the body shop of your choice, and ask them to file a supplemental claim on your behalf for the additional damage that they ALWAYS uncover once they start taking parts off. Remind them to include the rear glass in the supplemental.

If Geico reject that claim, proceed to straight to small claims court.
Also, don't forget to switch insurance companies after everything is done and over with!

a

Reactions: Bill Foster
Were you able to contact the adjuster and get copies of the pictures?
Yup, I did. Unfortunately, they were taken at angles that made it very hard to see, so they're taking that as the damage not being there.

For OP - take it to the body shop of your choice, and ask them to file a supplemental claim on your behalf for the additional damage that they ALWAYS uncover once they start taking parts off. Remind them to include the rear glass in the supplemental.

If Geico reject that claim, proceed to straight to small claims court.
Also, don't forget to switch insurance companies after everything is done and over with!

a

The Tesla Pomona body shop already knows me well enough that they told me they vouch for me since the beginning. Unfortunately, that did not work and the adjuster still denied the glass supplement.

I ended up calling that adjuster's supervisor to reschedule another inspection. They had a different adjuster (3rd one so far) come to my house and take a look at it this morning. I explained the whole situation and showed photos, but nothing. Still denied.

Saying it wasn't been there since the beginning and that supplements only apply to internal damage not usually seen from the outside.

I guess I'll be taking them to small claims court now. Unfortunately, I'll have to stay with Geico as everyone else is way more expensive and I'm already paying $750 per month.

Are any of the angles correct to see the spot that is now cracked? Multiple angles would be best for you. I know they are thumbnails, but they will give you an idea. I'm surprised you can't click on them to expand.
Unfortunately, no. :(

No he can't - BECAUSE of how much he's paying insurance! :p
Exactly!! :p

Why are your insurance premiums and quotes so astronomically high? Are you under 25 years old? My Geico insurance is $1140 for 6 months. I switched from AAA (wife’s car, my backup ICE car, and my house are still covered) because my exotic supercar was going to run me $1800 alone for 6 months. *This is also taking into account that I have a point on my record.
That's correct.

We have four newer model vehicles on our policy with every coverage maxed out. None of them are cheap, and three are 4wd or AWD. Clean records and we are middle aged. We pay $230 per month with Wawanesa.

And we haven’t sacrificed service..had two cars totaled (neither our fault and one party at fault was uninsured ) in the last five years...they handled everything great, no complaints.

OP is probably very young and has a bad driving record to boot. If he wants to pay that much to drive guess it’s up to him.
Zero at-fault accidents. Zero accidents in general at the time I got this pricing.

^^ He wrote that he has "no points." I think that means no insurance reportable moving violations although he did not mention accidents or claims; nor did he mention the records of the other people on the policy.

Now, back to the thread ?
Only 3 not-at-fault claims. There were zero at the time I got this quote. The other people in the policy have a perfectly clean driving record.