Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting experience with Regen Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I max charged my car for only the second time last night and when we left on our roadtrip I was very surprised at the first stop light to not have any regenerative braking. I presume this is normal behavior for a car with a fully charged battery?

By the time we got off the freeway at a rest stop it was back to normal.

We get that all the time in colder climates regardless of charge level. When you are expecting that instant deceleration and it doesn't happen it can be quite surprising. I wonder if anyone has gotten into a incident because of this?

Maybe Tesla should put on a warning on the cluster indicating that regen is unavailable when it is 100% charged? When it is cold it indicates low or no regen with dashed lines on the energy graph.

• Informative
Reactions: Pinot.Noir
We get that all the time in colder climates regardless of charge level. When you are expecting that instant deceleration and it doesn't happen it can be quite surprising. I wonder if anyone has gotten into a incident because of this?

Maybe Tesla should put on a warning on the cluster indicating that regen is unavailable when it is 100% charged? When it is cold it indicates low or no regen with dashed lines on the energy graph.

They do put a warning on the cluster, it's actually there all the time... shows you your regen limits.

On my classic console it's a yellow dash line in the orange zone. Driving away with 100% and the yellow bar is up. It disappears pretty quickly after driving a short distance to make room for the regen charge to return to battery.

On our model 3 it's where the solid line goes dashed under the speed display.

We're totally used to seeing this in colder climates, it's up a lot when the battery is cold... so maybe less surprising than for folks who never get to experience the full range of environment with their cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Pinot.Noir