Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior headliner molding behind rear seat windows supposed to be flexible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2022 MY Performance,built 12/2021 (no AMD Ryzen tablet), the plastic headliner behind rear passenger windows is flexible when pushed by hand. Both sides of the car are like this. Anyone else notice this?
3911D921-E1AB-4C55-958D-46A2A349873A.jpeg

Is it equally flexible on the other side of the car in the same spot?

I had a bunch of loose paneling almost every time a Tesla service agent worked on my car, but usually just around the pillars between front and 2nd row.

I have just noticed on my 2022 Berlin made MYP that there is more space between glas driver side headliner around pillar than on the passenger side.
When I push it in can I hear a clicking noise which disappears if I push it up and in...kinda clicks in place but the gap is still more noticeable on the left side and there is more freedom when applying pressure.
Is this normal or worth mentioning to Tesla?
From what I have read they have to remove everything from the dashboard back to get to the back seats headliner.
But yeah, entire headliner is very flexible anyhow and seem to be only there for the looks and to hide airbags:/
(see attached images - first one is the right side which is "ok", the second one is the left side, more visible gap, more flex)
FAC3DFE0-60F9-47F9-B69D-49CDDD5825C1.jpeg
91915F97-54A3-4FF5-9A86-699826513AF5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I think I found the source of my rear trunk noises when on fairly rough roads (good roads are not an issue). Some of the plastic trim on one side of my trunk interior is fairly flexible and rattles against another piece of trim and in another area the trim has the possibility to hitting the trunk glass. Others had this issue too and use some foam to prevent the trim from hitting glass. For the source o noise where two pieces of trim rattle against each other where they overlap, I'll try adding some think felt padding in-between them.

Here is the link to my photos and the thread about the trunk trim being a source of noise on rough roads.

update: Tesla service center inspected the issue and found out that one of the clips which are holding the headliner in place, was broken. They said it happened most likely in the factory during installation. They ordered the part and will replace it...no issues.
I'm glad they are not giving me "within the specs" line...

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54