Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the 3rd row of seats is just an option, and you don't have structural impediments like a gas tank behind the second row, I wonder if the back seat has to be fixed in place? Can they make it so if you order without the jump seats, that they give the back seat more room?

Would be an interesting trade off.

As at least half of the flexicars with a full ICE setup manages 7 forward facing seats and movable 2nd row I fail to see how this can be a technical problem. Look at the Toyotal Verso f.inst. with almost 24 less lenght inches it still manages 7 seats that at least in theory seats 7 adults, tiny adults mind you, but still. Movable backseat or at least two positions depending on if you take the jump seat option or not should not be a problem. But the fact is for most customers the jumpseats might be usefull as long as you can fit comfortably 5 adults in otherwise. If it is truely 5+2 not 5 / 2+5 then that is very usefull. And that needs good legroom in the backseat..

Cobos

Does anyone have pictures or illustrations on how they FORESEE the 2 chairs sitting? I've heard backwards, frontwards as a 3rd row etc, but never seen any pictures. It also worries me that it looks like the seats are basically in the trunk

Does anyone have pictures or illustrations on how they FORESEE the 2 chairs sitting? I've heard backwards, frontwards as a 3rd row etc, but never seen any pictures. It also worries me that it looks like the seats are basically in the trunk

Well that Whitestar styling thread has turned into a mess, but we talked about it there some.

First mention of the rear facing seats was here. Some rumble seat images here. I still don't see how it's supposed to work given the current placement of back seats and the slope of the rear glass. Seems those kids are gonna whack their heads when mom decides to test out the 5.6 second 0 to 60 time.

More discussion about it in the "babies in the trunk" thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for that doug. I still feel very wary about essentially putting kids in the trunk. I mean, aside from it just SOUNDING wrong, aren't they the first to be hit in a rear end collision?

*edit* looks like my concerns were shared in the other threads. The webcam idea is nice (well not a webcam, but a reverse-cam-type thing but for the trunk area). Guess we'll see how it pans out.

Last edited by a moderator:
To stay on topic, I like what graham said. I think it would be nice to have the option to not have the 2 jumper seats and opt for more trunk space depending on the design of the seats, i.e. folding into the floor or take out seats. Guess we'll just have to wait until more information comes out to find out.

-Shark2k

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fairly certain that they will be rear facing seats. I think that I heard Franz mention that in our conversation but I can not be certain of it. And there is actually more room back there than you would imagine from the pictures. In looking at the car in person and talking to Franz it seems that it would be totally doable. I mentioned that legs and feet could be behind the axle and Franz said yes plenty of room. Rear facing seats would have the back of the seat against the back of the second row seat so head room should not be a problem.

Last edited:
waiting soooo long

I'm really torn on this -- for me personally, it would be a great option to have the additional seating, but with the aerodynamics of an EV, plus the added space needed to put the two seats in (even if they fold into the trunk), plus the extra LATCH bars, seat belts etc., I'm just not sure it's a worthwhile sacrifice to make for people who have pre-teenage children. I ultimately want Tesla to sell as many cars as possible, and I'm not sure that young parents are a big enough market for them, or that it makes enough difference to them to have the additional two seats which will cause a loss of space or leg room for everyone else buying the car who doesn't have young children.

Vans in this country get HORRIBLE gas mileage. For years now Toyota has had hybrid minivans in Japan but has been unwilling (unable?) to sell them here. I've been looking in for a seven-person reasonable car for about 6 years. While I'm all for having comfort in the second row, I bet there will be as many mothers carrying a bunch of children as there will be professionals carpooling 4 grownups around. Personally I hope it stays 7-seat.

(also a first post!)

Vans in this country get HORRIBLE gas mileage. For years now Toyota has had hybrid minivans in Japan but has been unwilling (unable?) to sell them here. I've been looking in for a seven-person reasonable car for about 6 years. While I'm all for having comfort in the second row, I bet there will be as many mothers carrying a bunch of children as there will be professionals carpooling 4 grownups around. Personally I hope it stays 7-seat.

(also a first post!)

I had the opportunity to speak with some high up personnel at the 2010 Toyota Prius reveal in Detroit. The issue is that the hybrid Estima sold in Japan sells for the equivalent of around $50k US dollars there. Clearly it would not sell well for that price here and they're unwilling to deal with the backlash of selling it more cheaply in the US than in Japan.

I had the opportunity to speak with some high up personnel at the 2010 Toyota Prius reveal in Detroit. The issue is that the hybrid Estima sold in Japan sells for the equivalent of around $50k US dollars there. Clearly it would not sell well for that price here and they're unwilling to deal with the backlash of selling it more cheaply in the US than in Japan.
A bit off-topic, but I share copdoc's frustration. I realize that South Florida is not exactly like the rest of the US, but I can't tell you the number of "soccer moms" that my wife and I are friends with that are looking for a 6+ seat fuel efficient option and simply cannot find one. The third row in the Toyota Highlander is a joke, and the Escalade and Tahoe hybrids gets horrible mileage. Just speaking for people I know here, there is definitely a market for a more fuel efficient upscale SUV/minivan. These people go to Whole Foods with their reusable shopping bags in these giant SUVs or minivans because they're lugging 3 or 4 kids around and don't have a choice in the market right now. I'm barely able to squeeze 3 kids into my Lexus 400h, and when it's my turn to carpool I have to take my wife's car (Mercedes R 500).

A bit off-topic, but I share copdoc's frustration. I realize that South Florida is not exactly like the rest of the US, but I can't tell you the number of "soccer moms" that my wife and I are friends with that are looking for a 6+ seat fuel efficient option and simply cannot find one. The third row in the Toyota Highlander is a joke, and the Escalade and Tahoe hybrids gets horrible mileage. Just speaking for people I know here, there is definitely a market for a more fuel efficient upscale SUV/minivan. These people go to Whole Foods with their reusable shopping bags in these giant SUVs or minivans because they're lugging 3 or 4 kids around and don't have a choice in the market right now. I'm barely able to squeeze 3 kids into my Lexus 400h, and when it's my turn to carpool I have to take my wife's car (Mercedes R 500).
The 2009 HiHy is a bit better for that 3rd row. We have the '06 and on the occasions we need to use it my average size 9 year old boys enjoy sitting there. But it's hard to get in there, hard to get out, and I don't know that even they would want to sit there for a long trip. Plus, there's ZERO storage room once that seat is up.

The 2009 HiHy is a bit better for that 3rd row. We have the '06 and on the occasions we need to use it my average size 9 year old boys enjoy sitting there. But it's hard to get in there, hard to get out, and I don't know that even they would want to sit there for a long trip. Plus, there's ZERO storage room once that seat is up.
Exactly. Which, bringing this back on topic, is why for me the extra 2 seats made the difference for me in putting down the deposit. I suspect Elon had the revelation when he saw how much space there was in the rear of "why not put two rear-facing seats in there so I can get all 5 of my kids into this car?" I still worry that for the overall car market, especially at a higher price point, it may push away as many buyers as it attracts. Having it as an option would be the best of both worlds, but I don't know if that's possible, and there was no indication that it was an optional item. There's no doubt that there is at least some segment of the market out there extremely anxious for a fuel efficient/EV car that can seat more than 4 or 5 people.

There are many cars that can do that.
The European Ford S-Max seats properly 7 and gets decent milage.
Any of the smaller Flexicars, like Mazda 5, Toyota Verso gives good milage and at least in theory seats 7 adults.
In Norway the Mercedes R is available as a R280 whole in the US there is a R320 Bluetec that got decent milage...

So I suppose there are options, you just have to compromise a bit on 0-100 times..

Cobos