Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too found the back seat cramped. And like you was hoping that production size would fix that issue. My knees were actually pressed against the front seats. NOT LUXURY at all.

When I saw the photos of the back I knew that would be a problem. They should ditch the two jump seats if it can make the rear seat legroom better or have adjustable rear seats. It should at least be on par with a 5 series.

Again if any of you are considering one, please mention it to them as a top concern, a sedan with cramped rear seats isn't going to be particularly useful. Although in the sporty sedan-coupe segment the rear seats tend to be cramped, having more practical rear seats is going to help this car appeal more since this was supposed to be a more practical alternative to the Roadster.

The floor room in the current car is NOT indicative of the production model. They have already said that the floor pan will be 1" lower in the production vehicle. So it is hard to judge. It was OK in the Early Prototype but not spectacular but 1" can make a huge difference.

The floor room in the trunk area is good. Elon said that the final version will be about 2" lower than the current version because they're changing the configuration of the motor. There was lots of head room in the back seat. I also noticed the tight leg room, but I assumed at the time that maybe the front seats had just been pushed back all the way.

flabby are you sure that is what he said ?

He told me something different at the April 1 opening. He told me that the floorpan would be lowered 1" and the interior doors would be increased by 4" - 2" on each side to make the cabin wider. The reasoning for these changes being allowed was that the structure of the floorpan and the doors was not completely in place so what was there was actually thicker than what will be in the production car.

Wondering if things are changing or if Elon is just confused again - as usual. He should not be allowed to talk in public LOL he seems to get it wrong most of the time. Use Rachel or someone else that can get things right.

The floor room in the trunk area is good. Elon said that the final version will be about 2" lower than the current version because they're changing the configuration of the motor. There was lots of head room in the back seat. I also noticed the tight leg room, but I assumed at the time that maybe the front seats had just been pushed back all the way.

Good to hear of the headroom being good, you can't exactly say the same of competitors like the CLS (should be interesting how the rear seat is like in the Karma). If they lower the floor 1-2" it might help the leg room. And maybe the front seats were pushed all the way back. They should be able to make it work out.

I remember reading, perhaps in this thread, that the Model S will also stand 1" taller when they dump the donor chassis (it's past midnight and I'm too tired to look it up). Perhaps dropping the floor an inch and raising the roof an inch accounts for confusion.

Speaking of the donor chassis, perhaps the cramped rear seats are a constraint of what they had to work with.

I remember reading, perhaps in this thread, that the Model S will also stand 1" taller when they dump the donor chassis (it's past midnight and I'm too tired to look it up). Perhaps dropping the floor an inch and raising the roof an inch accounts for confusion.

Speaking of the donor chassis, perhaps the cramped rear seats are a constraint of what they had to work with.

Mt2, if you watch the latest video that doug posted from the Menlo park event (seen here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/2556-menlo-park-model-s-premier-4.html), Elon specifically states that the trunk floor will be dropped 2" once the motor has been rotated from a slightly inclined position in the current car to a flat position in the final version of the car.

Here's a direct link to the video:
YouTube - Tesla Menlo Park Model S unveiling Part 2

Mt2, if you watch the latest video that doug posted from the Menlo park event (seen here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/2556-menlo-park-model-s-premier-4.html), Elon specifically states that the trunk floor will be dropped 2" once the motor has been rotated from a slightly inclined position in the current car to a flat position in the final version of the car.

The key phrase here is "donor chassis". I was told I was not supposed to know that the frame is a standard steel frame from a German Mfg. They had to make it look good using someone else's measurements. The passenger seat, I was told, was welded down. I am not even planning to try to sit in it until they have a real finalized prototype.

Last edited by a moderator:
its very crowded in the back seat... I'd compare it to a 2-door sports coupe, not a 4-door sedan. And the Tesla reps did tell me the chasis will change and so will the rear legroom. We shall see :)

oh, first post... hi.

Hey Lefty,

Welcome !!! Glad to have you here. I was told the same thing at the reveal and was given the reasoning behind it so I believe that the likely hood of that changing is VERY HIGH. We should by all accounts get more leg room in the back. I too felt it was coupe status not sedan status at that time.

Hi, all! First time poster -- I reserved a Model S on the 26th and was very glad to find this board a few days ago to quench my thirst for info on Tesla!

On the seating, I've read and heard that Elon is adamant about having the two child seats in the rear. I've got 3 kids under the age of 8, and I think Elon has 5 kids under the age of 6, so I can understand his mild obsession with ensuring that he can fit most of his brood into the car at one time. It would be unfortunate if they sacrificed leg room in the back just to put those two jump seats in, but I would expect him to push as hard as possible to keep those two jump seats as part of the plans, not only because it was introduced as having 7 seats, but because he has a vested personal interest in being able to seat 7 people at a time (including 5 kids in the back).

Hi, all! First time poster -- I reserved a Model S on the 26th

Congrats!

[Elon] has a vested personal interest in being able to seat 7 people at a time (including 5 kids in the back).

Yeah...for the sake of the four adult sedan, I wish he didn't have so much skin in the game. Seating for seven really ought to be in a van, not in a four door car. Give me legroom for rear seat passengers!

Yeah...for the sake of the four adult sedan, I wish he didn't have so much skin in the game. Seating for seven really ought to be in a van, not in a four door car. Give me legroom for rear seat passengers!

The best way to satisfy both goals is to somehow have the seats adjustable, that way without children in the back you can move it back so you have more leg room and when you do then you can move it forward so the children in the back have more space.

I'm really torn on this -- for me personally, it would be a great option to have the additional seating, but with the aerodynamics of an EV, plus the added space needed to put the two seats in (even if they fold into the trunk), plus the extra LATCH bars, seat belts etc., I'm just not sure it's a worthwhile sacrifice to make for people who have pre-teenage children. I ultimately want Tesla to sell as many cars as possible, and I'm not sure that young parents are a big enough market for them, or that it makes enough difference to them to have the additional two seats which will cause a loss of space or leg room for everyone else buying the car who doesn't have young children.