Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2014 Model S we purchased from a friend two years ago that charges from a 240v, 50 amp 14-50 NEMA receptacle using the mobile charger that came with the vehicle. Recently, we have had intermittent charging issues. It charges perfectly at a supercharger but not using the 240V receptacle OR the 120V wall outlet. A white light before plugging it in but then no blue light or green light at the charging port. Tesla Roadside service came out and plugged in the charger and it worked! But, as a precaution, the tech replaced the Trident harness. Worked fine for a few days then same issue. My wife took the car and mobile charger to the Tesla Service Center where they tested the vehicle (charged fine), tested the charging cable by plugging it into a 240V receptacle and it worked. They stated it’s not the car or cable but our house.

Had the electrician that installed the receptacle two years ago come out and check it and everything tested perfectly fine.

So I’m leaning toward replacing the Mobil charging cable for $270.00 (in addition to the $280.00 paid for the trident harness) but was wondering if there is a known issue with the mobile charging cable. Still have a green light showing it’s getting power but the car states “No power to the charging cable”.

Seems to me that you'll need to do a little more troubleshooting to isolate the problem. Is it the car's onboard equipment, the peripheral charging equipment (mobile connector), or the electrical receptacle-line-breaker.

You've test the DC-DC charger, mobile charger at both the house and Tesla Service, and the only time you've had an error was at the house. The electrician who installed it might be the problem. Personally I would get a referral for a trusted electrician who is qualified at inspection and evaluating the power condition. It's possible that the first electrician's evaluation is limited and thinks that everything is fine when there could be current spikes and voltage drops.

If you don't mind having 2 mobile connectors, then by all means buy another one and test it out. Good luck.

Upvote 0
It seems like you did a good job in ruling out the car. Before investing in a new mobile connector i would check the outlet. Trip the breaker and pull the outlet. Look carefully at the connections for any charing, if you find any replace the outlet, otherwise tighten all the connections and give it a try.

BTW, the Leviton outlet is commonly used, but is not suited for use for a continuous load usage. If you have one I suggest replacing it with a Bryant or Hubbell outlet, which will run you about $80.

• Helpful
Reactions: hydro and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I had the exact same symptoms from my 2012 MS, and eventually it failed completely on my home 40A wall connector. From various tests I concluded my house wiring and wall charger were fine.
Tesla service found that one of the two built-in 40A AC chargers (the "Primary") had failed, but the "Secondary" was fine. Tesla service swapped the primary and secondary units, so the good unit now handles 1-40A AC charging. My garage circuit is 40A so this is not a hardship. (They offered this because they couldn't get new parts very quickly.)

• Helpful
Reactions: hydro
Upvote 0