Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internet bandwidth usage increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
I'm not sure if it is in fact the Model X, but I just received a warning from my ISP that I have used 75% of my capped bandwidth (750GB/month) for the month of March which is only half way done. Looking at the input/output stats for the past two months, beginning the week after I took delivery on Feb 3rd of my X, the data usage went from about a combined 5GB or less a day to over 30GB and as much as 40GB combined a day. With download and upload amounts about equal. Maybe it is a coincidence but daily usage began to climb the day I took home my X and I don't know of any other changes in Internet usage in my house around the same time. Has anyone else seen an increase in Internet usage since getting their X or S? I've turned off the wifi in the X to see if it makes a difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 2.22.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 2.22.01 PM.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 109
I would strongly suspect you have acquired a "bot" on one of your home computers. These things are remotely controlled for use in denial of service attacks and the like. Run a good virus/malware scanner. Turn off all your computers in the house and turn them on one by one to find the culprit.

I would strongly suspect you have acquired a "bot" on one of your home computers. These things are remotely controlled for use in denial of service attacks and the like. Run a good virus/malware scanner. Turn off all your computers in the house and turn them on one by one to find the culprit.

Apparently the timing was just bizarrely coincidental. After looking at my router logs the culprit was my NAS appliance. Somehow my NAS was hacked and being used as a PtP server. Now I need to spend time dealing figuring out how to fix this. Sorry for the false alarm, but it really looked strange that the bandwidth began to rise the same day I brought home my X.

Apparently the timing was just bizarrely coincidental. After looking at my router logs the culprit was my NAS appliance. Somehow my NAS was hacked and being used as a PtP server. Now I need to spend time dealing figuring out how to fix this. Sorry for the false alarm, but it really looked strange that the bandwidth began to rise the same day I brought home my X.

Oh wow, what kind of NAS do you use? I use to use a NAS (LaCie 5big NAS Pro) but later replaced it with a Mac Mini running OS X Server connected to a Thunderbolt Storage RAID rack.

Oh wow, what kind of NAS do you use? I use to use a NAS (LaCie 5big NAS Pro) but later replaced it with a Mac Mini running OS X Server connected to a Thunderbolt Storage RAID rack.

It is a Terra Master F2 with two RAIDed 4TB drives. I have an old Mac Mini sitting here but not sure how I could do RAID 1 on USB drives. I guess I could try connecting the Terra Master directly to the Mac Mini via USB. Not sure if the NAS supports that. Other than the unused Mac Mini I no longer have anything but Macbook Pros in the house. Anyway none of this is on topic so I'll figure it out somehow. Thanks for the suggestion.

It is a Terra Master F2 with two RAIDed 4TB drives. I have an old Mac Mini sitting here but not sure how I could do RAID 1 on USB drives. I guess I could try connecting the Terra Master directly to the Mac Mini via USB. Not sure if the NAS supports that. Other than the unused Mac Mini I no longer have anything but Macbook Pros in the house. Anyway none of this is on topic so I'll figure it out somehow. Thanks for the suggestion.

You can do RAID 1 using Disk Utility on Mac (which will create a software RAID). You can also mount the Terra Master as a network device on your Mac Mini and use it with OS X server. I use the LaCie 8big Thunderbolt 2 which has a hardware RAID 5.

Haha I am going off topic from Tesla forums