Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone App doesn't wake up car every time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
app results vary. it's not just the iphone. android phones are susceptible as well.

note: you will undeniably get users (from both platforms) saying "i've had zero problems", "mine has worked each time", "no issues with my phone", "check your settings" blah blah blah but the point is that this should not even be a topic if even a remote few of us are having issues. those are the same people that scoff at the fob idea because they just can't imagine the need for one since their phone works flawlessly

Given my personal experience, it seems to me that, when the car is on shore power / plugged into the wall connector, it works every time in my garage. When not plugged into the wall connector, in the same location, its hit or miss, and I know its not my wireless network connectivity. It could be my Cellular connectivity in the garage but I get 2 bars in there, and can make phone calls in there no problem on both ATT and Tmobile.

Does tesla sim use att?

iPhone user here, and it works 95% of the time with my iPhone 8 and XS Max. However i've noticed since upgrading to the XS Max, that I sometimes have to wake up the phone (just enough to turn on the screen) before the car will unlock. I'm chalking it up to an error on Apple's part.

iPhone user here, and it works 95% of the time with my iPhone 8 and XS Max. However i've noticed since upgrading to the XS Max, that I sometimes have to wake up the phone (just enough to turn on the screen) before the car will unlock. I'm chalking it up to an error on Apple's part.

If you are talking about unlocking the car, thats different than what I was talking about. I was talking about using the tesla app to check the car, or try to perform some remote function.

As far as unlocking the car with my phone, for me that has worked 99 percent of the time but that a different thing than what the thread I linked to was talking about. When I read the OPs post, I assumed that they were talking about "waking up" the car with the app, not unlocking it, but I could have read that wrong.

I see this frequently where the app won’t wake the car to be able to turn on the climate control 10 minutes before I get in the car. Isn’t seems to be worse recently, but I also try to do this on a daily basis now with the frigid outside temps. When the outside temps are mild, I rarely attempt to pre heat/cool the Model 3.

I’ve found that if you’re close enough to the car (attached garage at home; nearby parking at work) to where the Bluetooth connection is live (app reports: Phone Key connected), using the app to unlockthe and immediately relock the doors generally helps. This gives the car the nudge it needs to wake up from whatever sleep mode it gets stuck in.

If you are talking about unlocking the car, thats different than what I was talking about. I was talking about using the tesla app to check the car, or try to perform some remote function.

As far as unlocking the car with my phone, for me that has worked 99 percent of the time but that a different thing than what the thread I linked to was talking about. When I read the OPs post, I assumed that they were talking about "waking up" the car with the app, not unlocking it, but I could have read that wrong.
Oh, whoops. Misread. I never have trouble connecting to the car unless cell signal is poor.