Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Climate App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried this on main forum with nary a response. Perhaps the Mid-Atlantic group which experiences bad weather is more conducive.

Good morning all. I searched the forums and perhaps due to odd choice of search words I may be resurrecting something already discussed. When I turn on the climate from my iPhone (unsure if different Android), the steering wheel, defroster and all five heated seats activate. As 99% of the time I'm alone (have no friends) it seems a tad wasteful to have the extra seats heating up when driver will be the only one in the car. I've searched the app for adjustable settings and found nothing. Perhaps something in the car itself. I would think it would be advisable for the following at initiating the climate app: turn on drivers seat heat and front defroster only. Then if I choose to activate other seats, steering wheel, rear defroster, click the app. As it is now, I end up clicking each seat to de-activate. Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door. No snarkiness from people who don't live where the AM drivetime is not in the teens temp wise. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Reactions: st50maint
I tried this on main forum with nary a response. Perhaps the Mid-Atlantic group which experiences bad weather is more conducive.

Good morning all. I searched the forums and perhaps due to odd choice of search words I may be resurrecting something already discussed. When I turn on the climate from my iPhone (unsure if different Android), the steering wheel, defroster and all five heated seats activate. As 99% of the time I'm alone (have no friends) it seems a tad wasteful to have the extra seats heating up when driver will be the only one in the car. I've searched the app for adjustable settings and found nothing. Perhaps something in the car itself. I would think it would be advisable for the following at initiating the climate app: turn on drivers seat heat and front defroster only. Then if I choose to activate other seats, steering wheel, rear defroster, click the app. As it is now, I end up clicking each seat to de-activate. Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door. No snarkiness from people who don't live where the AM drivetime is not in the teens temp wise. Any thoughts, suggestions?
Yeah they need 2 buttons. 1) Turn on all heat. 2) Turn on driver heat. That would solve 80-90% of the usage.

I thought this had been discussed to death but there are hundreds of threads. (I don't even see lots of my notifications there are so many...) :) The other seats are NOT actually enabled. If you touch any of them, they all turn off. Try it. On our 3, all turn on at level 1. I touch the front passenger seat to turn it off (to verify it's really off), and all four of them go blank. (This doesn't seem to be a 'feature' on the X, which is weird, you'd think the codebase would be the same now. Perhaps MCU 1 vs 2, which we have?)

So, this phantom seat heat is a bug; we're on 2018.50 (as shown below).

The front defroster also seems to be dependent on external/internal temp. I think it goes on only when the temperature is below about 55 F, but I've not tested extensively. Recently it's been colder here, so I've seen it on in the AM even in the garage for the first few minutes as we preheat. It didn't do this last month when it was 60 or whatever in December.

I too also wish we had more precise and individual controls but at least we do have seat (and auto defrost!) controls.