Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iphone will not unlock car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thread bump.

I *hate* using my iPhone to unlock my Model 3. It works most of the time, but when it doesn’t, it really sucks. I had this issue with my iPhone X. Last weekend I replaced that with an 11 Pro Max and it seems to be worse. I’ve disabled and re-enabled bluetooth, but that doesn’t help. In fact, I had the problem today on the first attempt after toggling Bluetooth.

The key fob doesn’t passively unlock the car does it? I think the button has to be pressed? I just want a key I can keep in my pocket that works like so many other cars.

Reactions: UTMB
Thread bump.

I *hate* using my iPhone to unlock my Model 3. It works most of the time, but when it doesn’t, it really sucks. I had this issue with my iPhone X. Last weekend I replaced that with an 11 Pro Max and it seems to be worse. I’ve disabled and re-enabled bluetooth, but that doesn’t help. In fact, I had the problem today on the first attempt after toggling Bluetooth.

The key fob doesn’t passively unlock the car does it? I think the button has to be pressed? I just want a key I can keep in my pocket that works like so many other cars.

I generally throw my phone in my tote purse and have no problems. Twice now in the past week I have gone to open the car and got the car screen message to use my card key. Without removing my phone from my purse, I turned my purse around from the direction i had been holding it and could open the car door with no problem. As others have mentioned on various threads, how effective the bluetooth is seems to depend on what it has to transmit through. I’ve done the “reverse the purse experiment” twice now with success both times.

Best I can advise is look at where the phone is (screen facing which way and what’s around it) and try something different next time you approach. Clearly bluetooth has an issue in underground garages and such so this kind of makes sense as an explanation and approach to a solution. If you have your phone in your back jeans pocket as you approach the car facing the car and you can’t open the door, try turning body more to the side where the phone is and see if that helps.

BTW Tesla recently redesigned the Model 3 key fob to allow passive entry like on the Model S and Xs. Might want to check it out. Model 3 Key Fob

Last edited:
Reactions: UTMB
iPhone 6S plus. This has been an intermittent issue for me. I’ll go for long stretches (weeks) without trouble, then a whole day of difficulty getting the car to unlock. I always have the phone in my front pants pocket, inverted and facing me. Sometimes pinching the phone’s power button through the fabric of my pocket grants access to the car. Since the last update I’ve most often had to get the phone out of my pocket and unlock the phone itself to get the car to unlock.
One of my partners has a P3D and has had the same problem. She has a newer iPhone. Dunno.

Thread bump.

So, two phones are having difficulty opening your car, maybe it's something going wrong in the car?

This whole thing perplexes me. I've had my car just shy of a year. *Maybe* twice in that time it didn't open the *first* pull of the handle, but did on the second. One time it didn't open at all and I realized I had it in my backpack (my phone usually lives in my front pocket). I just turned a bit to give my backpack some "view" of the car and it unlocked no issue.

iPhone XS, then 11 Pro.... phone lives in front pocket. Don't need to touch it, don't need to wake. Never handle the phone at all. It just works. I walk up to my car open the door, drive away. Park, walk-away, it locks.

I also don't fiddle with apps, force closing, etc. Per apple - just leave it alone and it does "the right things". In fact, I lost my card key at some point and didn't notice until I tried to show someone the card one day.

Reactions: KenC