Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Iron Horse Sunday Downhill Mountain Bike Fits in Model 3 Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the development of the vehicle I wanted Tesla to do a take your bike to work day to test each bike for fit in a Model 3. I was guessing that anIronHorse Sunday with a dual crown fork would not fit. I guessed wrong! It fits. There is a little negotiation with the cross beam above the threshold, as the bumper stops on a dual crown fork limit how flat the bar lays. Other than that, easy:

IMG_6466.JPG
IMG_6464.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Vitold
I'm curious what size bike that is. I can't fit my bikes in a Model 3 without dropping the seat post, and that's not something you want to do with a carbon frame and post every time you put it in the car. Road bike is a 58 with a lot of seat post as I'm 6' 2". Eyeballing it, I need about an extra inch between the wheel wells, so it's probably fine for anyone under 6'. Alternative is removing both wheels, but that's not terribly convenient. My bikes fit in the back of a Prius without removing either wheel!

I'm not familiar with downhill bikes. Do they have low saddles so they're just out of the way since you're standing on the pedals most of the time?

When you take off the front wheel and put the fork dropouts against the driver's side wall can you get the widest part of back wheel through before the seat interferes?

When you take off the front wheel and put the fork dropouts against the driver's side wall can you get the widest part of back wheel through before the seat interferes?

The issue was with the dimension between the bottom of the big chainring up to the saddle. I wasn't able to angle the frame enough to get that portion of the bike between the wheel wells. I think I'm going to go back to the Tesla store and spend more time with this to play with different orientations and angles, but I'm about 98% sure my bike isn't going to fit.

The bike won't fit between the wheel wells of my Prius either, but since that's a hatchback configuration, I can slide the bike in with the saddle above the wheel well and then lay it flat.

The issue was with the dimension between the bottom of the big chainring up to the saddle. I wasn't able to angle the frame enough to get that portion of the bike between the wheel wells. I think I'm going to go back to the Tesla store and spend more time with this to play with different orientations and angles, but I'm about 98% sure my bike isn't going to fit.

The bike won't fit between the wheel wells of my Prius either, but since that's a hatchback configuration, I can slide the bike in with the saddle above the wheel well and then lay it flat.
The trunk portion is very long... But the narrow spot is on the trunk side. Consider front wheel off, bars first?

Went back to the local store to try fitting my road bike into the Model 3. After trying a variety of angles and orientations, I managed to jamb it in there! And jamb is the correct word. It basically involved tilting the frame so the chainrings were high, the saddle low, right in the area where the wheel wells are. Then carefully pushing, which compressed the trunk liner just enough I was able to squeeze it through. It's not ideal, and I don't think there's any way I could do it with the front wheel on. But in a pinch, it can be done. I wonder if the liner could be modified to free up a little more space?

BTW: I was wrong earlier when I said the bike won't fit between the wheel wells of my Prius earlier. It actually does fit, I just don't slide it in lying flat because it's much easier to have the frame tilted up a bit so I can roll it in on the side of the back wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: 22522
Went back to the local store to try fitting my road bike into the Model 3. After trying a variety of angles and orientations, I managed to jamb it in there! And jamb is the correct word. It basically involved tilting the frame so the chainrings were high, the saddle low, right in the area where the wheel wells are. Then carefully pushing, which compressed the trunk liner just enough I was able to squeeze it through. It's not ideal, and I don't think there's any way I could do it with the front wheel on. But in a pinch, it can be done. I wonder if the liner could be modified to free up a little more space?

BTW: I was wrong earlier when I said the bike won't fit between the wheel wells of my Prius earlier. It actually does fit, I just don't slide it in lying flat because it's much easier to have the frame tilted up a bit so I can roll it in on the side of the back wheel.

Like many others, when I arrive at a race I have a specific way I prepare. And I pull my bike out of the little wagon in a second or two as it is fully prepped the day before. Then I go about getting race numbers pinned, eating, warming etc. I'd rather have a rack than moving a seatpost.
When I was younger I used whatever car I had. And that involved wheel removal. I'd rather not go back to that.

Like many others, when I arrive at a race I have a specific way I prepare. And I pull my bike out of the little wagon in a second or two as it is fully prepped the day before. Then I go about getting race numbers pinned, eating, warming etc. I'd rather have a rack than moving a seatpost.
When I was younger I used whatever car I had. And that involved wheel removal. I'd rather not go back to that.

Much easier to move a seatpost than to have your bike stolen off the rack :).

It's funny, I think people who've never had a car that allows a fully assembled bike inside really can't appreciate just how nice that is. The bike is secure and ready to go. At the end of a ride, when you're nearly bonked, it just pops back in with no problem. Model S is perfect in this regard, but unfortunately, isn't good for me for several other reasons.

Honda Fit would hold 3 bikes and 3 people all inside. And if just one is needed, it holds the Sunday with both wheels on.

Honda Element 3 bikes all wheels on.