Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain bike fit into Model Y trunk / cargo area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an XL mountain bike and wanted to see if there is a trick/tip fitting it into the trunk (seats down) of a Model Y without removing the front wheel of the bike. Maybe using the sub-trunk to stick in part of the wheel or handlebar? Just wondering if somebody has figured it out, before I scratch up my new interior of my beautiful Y by trying the various scenarios (front first, back first, etc.). Thanks.

I would recommend getting a cargo liner. You can buy ones that are designed for the Model Y that fit and hug every curve, but are actually more like padding for animals (dogs) you might put back there. There are generic liners that may or may not fit nicely… but really are just basic liners. Finally, the last option is just repurpose some large cardboard box.

I suggest that because trying to move a bike in and out might be an awkward affair… and it’s only made worse if you’re too conscious of marking up the car.

This way, you can experiment with suggestions given and maybe things in case you don’t like it.

I have a medium size bike (but it's a relatively long 29er), I don't think there's a way to fit the bike in there with the front wheel on. Maybe front first, drop front wheel behind the back of the front seat and let the handlebar stick out in between the backs of the front seats?
I always take the front wheel off, no big deal. I can barely fit the bike with only 2/3 of the back seat folded, so my kid can still sit in the back seat.

Mine is Medium. I don't see how you can pack one in without taking the front wheel off. I have hitch rack too but only use when I am with somebody.
1694635004968.png

I have an XL mountain bike and wanted to see if there is a trick/tip fitting it into the trunk (seats down) of a Model Y without removing the front wheel of the bike. Maybe using the sub-trunk to stick in part of the wheel or handlebar? Just wondering if somebody has figured it out, before I scratch up my new interior of my beautiful Y by trying the various scenarios (front first, back first, etc.). Thanks.
I had the same question, but for two 29" mountain bikes. Today I went to a Tesla location and successfully put two 29" MTBs into the back of a Model Y. One is a M/L, other is a M. Droppers down, front wheels off. Would never use a hitch rack for anything but a quick drive to a trailhead. Each bike is $10K and here in Colorado, many bikes are stolen off hitch racks.

Attachments

• 2023-10-17 20_46_18-IMG_3411.HEIC ‎- Photos.jpg
    2023-10-17 20_46_18-IMG_3411.HEIC ‎- Photos.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: KevinT3141
I had the same question, but for two 29" mountain bikes. Today I went to a Tesla location and successfully put two 29" MTBs into the back of a Model Y. One is a M/L, other is a M. Droppers down, front wheels off. Would never use a hitch rack for anything but a quick drive to a trailhead. Each bike is $10K and here in Colorado, many bikes are stolen off hitch racks.
Couldn’t they just break in the car and steal your bike? I generally prefer to have the bikes inside as well but don’t feel like it’s necessarily way safer unless no one can see it at all

Couldn’t they just break in the car and steal your bike? I generally prefer to have the bikes inside as well but don’t feel like it’s necessarily way safer unless no one can see it at all
It’s less obvious, since you can’t see it from any reasonable distance. A hitch and rack also imply you care a bit more than your typical rider, which can also be interpreted as having something more valuable and worth stealing.