Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and bike rack and roof rack.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm thinking of getting a used M3 and I wondering how many bike I can fit safely. I need to fit 5 mountain bike, all weight between 13-14kg,
so I was thinking my options might be

1. 3 on the roof and 2 on the tow bar.
2. 2 on the roof and 3 on the tow bar.

Also if a M3 doesn't state a tow bar on the listing and 1 be added, is the main part connected to the car already and I just need to get Westfalia Detachable Tesla Model 3 Tow Bar ?

Any help or advice would be great.

Fluff

You ideally need a model 3 that has a factory tow bar. The car is only rated to tow if it came originally with a tow bar.

The car doesn’t come with the extra support structure for the Westfalia attachment unless originally ordered as such …. But people have added one themselves … but this still means you cannot legally tow but you can legally attach a bike rack to the tow bar you fitted. It’s all down to bizarre regs and a wee bit of electrical harness but that’s the way it is.

I use a tow-ball mounted bike rack. Teslas own rack is only two bikes, there are recommendations about of the centre of gravity being a maximum distance. This effectively limits it to a 2 bike rack for the tow b
IMG_3832.png
all. Even though the maximum weight is 55kg. I will attach a photo.

You ideally need a model 3 that has a factory tow bar. The car is only rated to tow if it came originally with a tow bar.

The car doesn’t come with the extra support structure for the Westfalia attachment unless originally ordered as such …. But people have added one themselves … but this still means you cannot legally tow but you can legally attach a bike rack to the tow bar you fitted. It’s all down to bizarre regs and a wee bit of electrical harness but that’s the way it is.
I never want to tow anything it would only be for carrying bikes. I will look out for a m3 with tow bar as fitted by the factory. I'm guessing some car dealers might not know it comes with a tow bar ?

Any advice on carrying the bikes ? I see Tesla only sell a 2 bike rack for the 2 tow bar but I've seen loads of pictures with M3's carrying 3 bike on the tow bar.

I use a tow-ball mounted bike rack. Teslas own rack is only two bikes, there are recommendations about of the centre of gravity being a maximum distance. This effectively limits it to a 2 bike rack for the tow bView attachment 974682all. Even though the maximum weight is 55kg. I will attach a photo.
So to stay within the limits I should stick to 2 on the tow bar and 3 on the roof ?

I understand the roof can take 75kg? anyone know how heavy the Tesla roof bars ?

If the bikes were light and well under the 55kg i think you could get 3 on the back . Never heard of anyone having problems, it’s just strange they are very specific about the Center of gravity.
The centre of gravity is the point at which the tow bar is rated for 55kg. Obviously if the load is further away from the car the leverage becomes significantly greater so you should, in theory reduce the weight accordingly. If you put a long enough extension on the tow bar then even 1kg could be too much (just an extreme to demonstrate the point).

Reactions: Fluff
Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm thinking of getting a used M3 and I wondering how many bike I can fit safely. I need to fit 5 mountain bike, all weight between 13-14kg,
so I was thinking my options might be

1. 3 on the roof and 2 on the tow bar.
2. 2 on the roof and 3 on the tow bar.

Also if a M3 doesn't state a tow bar on the listing and 1 be added, is the main part connected to the car already and I just need to get Westfalia Detachable Tesla Model 3 Tow Bar ?

Any help or advice would be great.

Fluff
You probably know this but your efficiency will be horrible. Others will know better but i think this could halve your range at motorway speeds. Just wanted to make sure you are aware.

You probably know this but your efficiency will be horrible. Others will know better but i think this could halve your range at motorway speeds. Just wanted to make sure you are aware.
Hi Jason71.

Yes I'm aware that the efficiency will be crap but I can't be any worse than my VW T5 Sportline ;). The Sportline is great don't get me wrong, but when you already have an EV in the family (Wife's car) you suddenly realise how much fuel I'm using. So I'm looking at an EV but need to transport 5 bikes for now. My oldest Son is 16 and is starting to go out with he's mate more now doesn't want to go on bike rides with mum and dad (Not cool apparently) So I'll be down to 4. But I need to option for 5 if needed.

I'd love to own a Tesla, I think they are amazing cars. I'm just hoping I can make this work.

Thank you for your help and advice. PS how do I do thank thumbs, I can't see anywhere to do it as I'd like to thank everyone that's helped so far. Is it because I've a newbie with not many posts ?

Hi Jason71.

Yes I'm aware that the efficiency will be crap but I can't be any worse than my VW T5 Sportline ;). The Sportline is great don't get me wrong, but when you already have an EV in the family (Wife's car) you suddenly realise how much fuel I'm using. So I'm looking at an EV but need to transport 5 bikes for now. My oldest Son is 16 and is starting to go out with he's mate more now doesn't want to go on bike rides with mum and dad (Not cool apparently) So I'll be down to 4. But I need to option for 5 if needed.

I'd love to own a Tesla, I think they are amazing cars. I'm just hoping I can make this work.

Thank you for your help and advice. PS how do I do thank thumbs, I can't see anywhere to do it as I'd like to thank everyone that's helped so far. Is it because I've a newbie with not many posts ?
There should be a like button. maybe you have to do a few posts first.

They are great cars. I just did not want you to be disappointed with the range once you wreck the aerodynamics.

I am sure the same set up would also be bad for ICE but what not all people realise is that because ICE are only 20-30% efficient to begin with then adding drag has less of an impact. so although the range does go down on an ICE car it goes down by much less and there are petrol stations on every street corner anyway. So no one notices as much.
With an EV though the change will be much more pronounced. if you can still do your journey without having to stop to charge it is not a problem especially if you have cheap rate electricity at home.
If however you are doing longer road trips and the reduction in efficiency leads you to have to make extra stops a public charges then your saving are much smaller since the cost of public charging is 5-10 times the price of home off peak so often costs as much or more per mile as petrol and diesel.

Could be worse at least you aren't towing. That is even worse and few of the chargers are designed for a vehicle with a trailer.

Hi Jason71.

it is bottom right of each post.

It might be different if you read it on mobile... or maybe limitations for new users (I doubt)
1695035055995.png

There should be a like button. maybe you have to do a few posts first.

They are great cars. I just did not want you to be disappointed with the range once you wreck the aerodynamics.

I am sure the same set up would also be bad for ICE but what not all people realise is that because ICE are only 20-30% efficient to begin with then adding drag has less of an impact. so although the range does go down on an ICE car it goes down by much less and there are petrol stations on every street corner anyway. So no one notices as much.
With an EV though the change will be much more pronounced. if you can still do your journey without having to stop to charge it is not a problem especially if you have cheap rate electricity at home.
If however you are doing longer road trips and the reduction in efficiency leads you to have to make extra stops a public charges then your saving are much smaller since the cost of public charging is 5-10 times the price of home off peak so often costs as much or more per mile as petrol and diesel.

Could be worse at least you aren't towing. That is even worse and few of the chargers are designed for a vehicle with a trailer.
Hi Jason71,

I think I've got a good idea what's going to happen with the range. I'm not going to be happy about it but it is what it is and for 95% of the time I don't need to carry the bike I'll be very happy.

We have a Zappi v2 charger at home on Octopus Go, so charging isn't an issue. Also our bike rides are all within the 80% range on M3 SR+ (including minus losses for crap efficiency) Plus 1 of the reason I'm thinking of changing from the T5 to M3 is I also have the ability to charge at work for free.

Reactions: Adopado and Jason71
I would just chip in that particularly applies to higher speed driving on e.g. distances on motorways. However, on slower county roads and slow sections of dual carriageway I’ve seen average of better than 4 miles per kWh (250Wh/mile) towing a trailer so it’s not always dramatic efficiency loss by any means. “Weather” will make a big difference too of course so I always assume the worst!