Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irregularity in front windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

excited to say that I took delivery earlier today of a model Y.

overall it looks good but just took it for a spin and I swear there is some mild irregularity in the front windshield. It’s minor but enough to bother me. It’s as if the curvature is off on one portion of the glass. Am I the only one seeing this? Did anyone report this with the model 3? If it’s within normal limits I won’t bother the service dept...

Hey all,

overall it looks good but just took it for a spin and I swear there is some mild irregularity in the front windshield. It’s minor but enough to bother me. It’s as if the curvature is off on one portion of the glass. Am I the only one seeing this? Did anyone report this with the model 3? If it’s within normal limits I won’t bother the service dept...
Do you think this will show up in a photo?

Also does your pedal look like this?
0F404B16-AE9B-4F3D-9A4B-886B6359A5E3.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Madmax_VA
For what it's worth, the US government has established standards for how much distortion is acceptable in windshield glass. It is included in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 205, which stipulates that windshields must meet ANSI Z26.1. Section 5.10 of ANSI Z26.1 deals with optical distortion.

If you see distortion in your normal field of forward vision, you probably have a strong case for getting it replaced. If the irregularities are only at extreme edges of the windshield, then the standards may not apply. If you find another Model Y that does NOT have the same irregularities as yours, that also makes a case that yours is defective.

For what it's worth, the US government has established standards for how much distortion is acceptable in windshield glass. It is included in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 205, which stipulates that windshields must meet ANSI Z26.1. Section 5.10 of ANSI Z26.1 deals with optical distortion.

If you see distortion in your normal field of forward vision, you probably have a strong case for getting it replaced. If the irregularities are only at extreme edges of the windshield, then the standards may not apply. If you find another Model Y that does NOT have the same irregularities as yours, that also makes a case that yours is defective.
Thanks for your response

I got delivery this week, have a visual distortion directly in the line of drivers vision; waiting for appointment on Monday.

I'm going to revive this thread.. Just took delivery two weeks ago and was showing off the car to a couple of people. They immediately (and independently) commented about distortion in the windshield from the passenger side. Personally, I didn't notice it at first, but once it was pointed out, I cannot "unsee" it. If the car is stationary and you move your head, you can actually see an object in the distance "flutter" . There is definite distortion right around eye level near the center and about 1 foot out in either direction. I'm glad unitrecord pointed out the ANSI regulation, as I have my service appointment for this on Monday Oct 19.

Hey all,

Yes I have it too - right in the driver's line of sight. Annoying and sub par at this price point.

I'm going to revive this thread.. Just took delivery two weeks ago and was showing off the car to a couple of people. They immediately (and independently) commented about distortion in the windshield from the passenger side. Personally, I didn't notice it at first, but once it was pointed out, I cannot "unsee" it. If the car is stationary and you move your head, you can actually see an object in the distance "flutter" . There is definite distortion right around eye level near the center and about 1 foot out in either direction. I'm glad unitrecord pointed out the ANSI regulation, as I have my service appointment for this on Monday Oct 19.

I put a camera on a tripod and moved it vertically. I think this captures the issue: