Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS clarification for tax. Implications for Ohio delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know the truth about this? Have seen talk of it pop up on other forums, some claim title needs transfered to get the tax credit, others say car just needs delivered. Does anyone know what's true for Ohio? I was planning on picking up something locally in inventory, but need to know if tax credit will be halved even if I take delivery this year. I'll call around BMV tomorrow, but afraid whoever answers may not really know/will just tell me what I want to hear.

IRC 30D Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Sales Definition Clarification | Internal Revenue Service

Furthermore, Section 1 of the Notice states, “[t]his notice also amplifies Notice 2009-54 and Notice 2009-58, 2009-30 I.R.B. 163 (relating to the plug-in electric vehicle credit under § 30) to provide that a vehicle is considered “acquired” when title to that vehicle passes under state law.” Specifically, Section 4.07 of the Notice provides that “[a] vehicle is not “acquired” before the date on which title to that vehicle passes under state law.”

Last edited:
No problem!
I think most people confuse the "transfer of title" (essentially the transfer of ownership, which happens when the car is delivered) with the "delivery of the document of title" (a registration formality, which may happen a month or two later).

Reactions: mongo
Legally the title (the ownership) of the car has been passed to you on September 30. What you haven’t received yet is the document of title. You don’t need to have that document in order to qualify for the tax credit. If you financed your car, depending on the state and the type of financing, the lender may hold onto your title document until you pay off your loan. So you may not actually receive it for years.

Anyone know the truth about this? Have seen talk of it pop up on other forums, some claim title needs transfered to get the tax credit, others say car just needs delivered. Does anyone know what's true for Ohio? I was planning on picking up something locally in inventory, but need to know if tax credit will be halved even if I take delivery this year. I'll call around BMV tomorrow, but afraid whoever answers may not really know/will just tell me what I want to hear.

IRC 30D Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Sales Definition Clarification | Internal Revenue Service

Furthermore, Section 1 of the Notice states, “[t]his notice also amplifies Notice 2009-54 and Notice 2009-58, 2009-30 I.R.B. 163 (relating to the plug-in electric vehicle credit under § 30) to provide that a vehicle is considered “acquired” when title to that vehicle passes under state law.” Specifically, Section 4.07 of the Notice provides that “[a] vehicle is not “acquired” before the date on which title to that vehicle passes under state law.”
The article that you posted is about how the EV quotas are calculated, not necessarily how the tax rebate is considered.
I'm pretty sure that Ohio law has nothing to do here.

I'd be surprised if the IRS cared about anything but when the money transfer occurs.

Talk to your accountant, look at the IRS form, or your tax software to their guidance.

And trust me, Tesla is going to try their hardest to get that transaction by the end of the year. Aside from Customer Service, this will be end of year numbers and will be a huge bellwether as to the future of the company.