Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 120v charging enough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check to see if you have a 50 amp breaker serving something (like an electric dryer) that can be repurposed for Tesla charging.

Some have an electric stove hookup, but use a gas stove. Something like that.
The stove is not gas unfortunately. And the dryer is being used. I think I would look into the lower amps 240v options. Anything higher than 120v would give me a good breathing room.

The stove is not gas unfortunately. And the dryer is being used. I think I would look into the lower amps 240v options. Anything higher than 120v would give me a good breathing room.
Are you charging at night? If so, you can load share using the dryer plug. I’ll wager your dryer isn’t used at night. 😜

I’m trying to remember the tests I did a few years back using the 120 plug, but the changes in software kind make those numbers moot.

Since your car will be garaged, the 120v should be fine. As a rule of thumb, the 120 isn’t enough once you cold-soak below -10 C outside. Give it a try and see what works for you.

Another alternative is asking if your work can put in a charger, so you can top up there.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Adding another datapoint:

I just received my MYLR. Currently WFH, but when we return, I expect my wife's commute to be 20km one way, so ~40-50km round trip per day. In current weather conditions in a reasonably weatherproofed (but NOT climate controlled) garage, I get 7-8km/hr, so overnight 10h charging during off-peak times is an easy 70km. More than enough for a round trip. My house is 50+ years old, so upgrading to a 200A panel will require trenching a new main line from the city ($$$), and there's no room in the panel. At least the outlet I'm using in my garage is not load shared with anything, so the car can always happily charge at 12A/120V from the NEMA 5-15 outlet.

In this case, I'm "letting it be" on 120V/12A and if it becomes a problem in the winter, I'll deal with it then. Whether that's a 240V 15/20A charger, or an entire panel upgrade - we'll see.

For reference, in the dead of winter (-20C) my garage gets to about +8-10C. The garage door is very well insulated, but there's no HVAC going into the garage, so no way to "maintain" a consistent temperature.

So I just had an electrician come take a look and give me a quote for installing a 14-50 220v outlet in my garage. Sadly my panel will need upgrading as it cannot support another 50A breaker so the quote was a couple thousands of dollars. Sucks cos I already ordered and received a nema 14-50 adapter from the Tesla website.

My question is to owners who just exclusively charge using the included 5-15 120v adapter.
1. Do you find it just enough for everyday driving to charge it overnight?
2. How often do you need to go to superchargers or any Lvl2 chargers to top up?

My daily drive to work is around 50 km roundtrip.

Thanks!
Hi
We had same issue - couldn't expand 100A panel. So used 120V 15A circuit for over a year and rarely had any issues.
120V 15A at our house added about 100km over night calculated as 8-9km per hour so if plug in at dinner, by 8am would add over 100km.
I did go to trouble of charging at local level 2 charger a few times - when we'd forgotten & got down below 100km left.
Also used Super chrger a few times but mostly due to free referral km & as there was one nearby a cafe back in days when could meet friends.

Also Local level 2 charges add about 4 times as much (30-38km/hr). A few ties drive to restaurant nearby & could add 35-40km during family dinner - or if 2 cars do a drop & come back later.
You indicate you drive 50km round trip, so that plus groceries etc - you should be ok.

Oh - another trick sort of mentioned above, can use existing 15A wiring & boost to 240V if you have a space in your panel. That doubles charge to ~ 18km /hr.
Can also go with the 240V 30A (dryer level) if you are able.
WHile most folks in newer houses adding the 240V 50A makes sense - in case get 2 cars or drive lots etc - for most local tripping lower draw is fine.

PS: We recently added a dryer share adapter from Amazon. Just have to make sure don't have both on at same time or you'd blow the breaker. We just start the charge late at night & done in 4 hours.

Do you have a dryer plug near the garage? If so try the smart switch just google ev splitter plug. There are several manufacturers that basically switch the power to your EV when the dryer is not in use. I was in similar situation as you. Instead of paying electrician thousands I paid hundreds and saved.