Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 12v trickle charge needed during storage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I luckily received a low battery warning around 3 years after purchasing my 2020 MY. I called the mobile service tech who examined my car and said that the 12v battery needed to be replaced and he did so. I leave my car plugged in to my level 2 charger when I go away for up to 4 months every year. He told me to buy a trickle charger for my 12v battery and use it when storing my car for long periods. I also have a 2020 Chevy Bolt that I do trickle charge when I am gone but am not aware of needing to trickle charge my MY while storing for months. Any comments or suggestions?

It kind of makes sense but the dc to dc charger should kick in as needed to top off the 12v battery. I do use a battery maintainer for the motorcycles. Amazon Clinic
I still have had to replace batteries on the bike and usually 3 years on any ICE car that I've owned. Our MX would require a fresh battery every two years right around July. Biggest lead acid battery killer is heat. There are post here where owners have experienced issues using a lithium 12v battery. Not knowing how sensitive the battery charging system is in the Tesla, I would be concerned how it may read the higher voltage that a tender puts out for any length of time.

I agree with @E90alex, it does not make sense to use a truckle charger if you can plug the car into an L2 source. In fact, if you leave Sentry and Overheat protection off, the typical loss for a Model Y is about 1% / week, so you will lose <20% in 4-months (test this yourself).

In any case I would plug the car in, charge to 80% then set the SOC back to 50%. Don’t check the car everyday, once a month will be plenty if you feel the need!