Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is air suspension available on model 3 performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does air suspense do anything for the ride quality? Would it make going over speed bumps more pleasant?
This has been discussed extensively in the Model S forums for years now. Some people like SAS (Smart Air Suspension) for a smoother ride, for height adjustability, or other reasons. Some people don’t think it is worth the extra money and some people actually prefer coils because they feel more connected to the road, simpler so less likely to fail, or other reasons.

I have owned an S with coils, which I liked, and an X with SAS, which I like because the height adjustment capability can be an advantage when hitching/unhitching my trailer. If I didn’t tow I would be fine with coils.

• Informative
Reactions: chronopc
Honestly I hope Tesla drops the idea of an air suspension for the Model 3. For lower optioned cars it's just another costly gadget to break - and air suspensions in every brand always break. For performance cars it's a downgrade. You don't see BMW M3s or other track focused cars with air suspensions.

Honestly, only using it upon parking where a curb is too high. But when that scrape sound happens, it's wonderful to raise up and proceed.
For ski trips and uneven beach lots, it's far less used, seldom a need.

I like it for being able to lower your car at the touch of a button for a nice aesthetic look, the softer ride, and steep driveway access

Reactions: Pkmmte
I thought I wanted to wait for air until I drove the 3...

Now I think all the Tesla's with SAS ride like crap, including my X and my dad's S. Drive it back to back with a 3 and you'll feel the slight wallowing, its always there and highly annoying once you notice it.

The 3 has a far more planted feel and tracks dead straight, and I think EAP feels far smoother because of that. The only redeeming quality is being able to raise the vehicle if for example in deep snow or for a curb, but unless you lower your 3 it likely won't be much issue.

And to be clear there is not a tuning difference IMO, if anything SAS is less predictable on how it handles road imperfections. My 3 on 20s rides better than any X or S I've been in, regardless of wheel size. The only air suspension I've driven that was truly amazing is the Mercedes or Range Rover suspensions.

Now I think all the Tesla's with SAS ride like crap, including my X and my dad's S. Drive it back to back with a 3 and you'll feel the slight wallowing, its always there and highly annoying once you notice it.

Agreed. Only SAS that was great was the early P85D SAS that was a VERY stiff suspension. All the other SAS's I have driven have had that wobble that really unsettles me when driving. I love my coils. Had them on my P85 and love them on my 3.