Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is everyone affected by the power steering? Are there some happy people out there?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the power steering fail twice. It's non-trivial and not fun. I'm an AP 2.5 currently on 40.1. Waiting another couple of days to watch the fleet update to 42.1 before I do so. I've requested Tesla to provide me with confirmation that I should not expect PS failure when doing the 42.1 update. But for obvious reasons I don't think I'll ever get that confirmation. I've had several non-trivial issues with my MX since delivery in mid Sept. I've spent many hours in multiple SvCs.

That said - I WOULD buy it again. I'm pissed at the QC on the production line. I think the after purchase service has been very good. Tesla had done everything to get me back on the road as quickly as possible. I will say I fear the day the MX drops out of warrantee. Especially if we end up being 100% dependent on Tesla for service. I think they really need to rethink the proprietary service model. But that's a topic for another thread.

When doing the load of 17.42.1? It has nothing to do with 'loading' the software, it was an issue *with* 17.42 itself that it was looking for hardware that was no longer in AP2.5 cars. I had it once while running 17.42, restarted the car (power off/on), and didn't have it again. I have 17.42.1 now, and no problems since.

I don't recall hearing about issues on earlier releases, so, your Steering Assist (I assume that's what you got?) issues may actually be a real issue, and not the false positive alerts on 17.42. How did you correct the alerts when you got them?

But in reality I have seen all the complaints and qc comments and wanted to understand where the good stories are. Because with all the MX sold..wanted to put things in perspective.
Happy customers are enjoying the product. Unhappy customers are sitting on forums complaining (over generalization, cause I'm happy but on the forum). You get the point, unhappy people want to vent so forums will always be filled with horror stories.

When doing the load of 17.42.1? It has nothing to do with 'loading' the software, it was an issue *with* 17.42 itself that it was looking for hardware that was no longer in AP2.5 cars. I had it once while running 17.42, restarted the car (power off/on), and didn't have it again. I have 17.42.1 now, and no problems since.

I don't recall hearing about issues on earlier releases, so, your Steering Assist (I assume that's what you got?) issues may actually be a real issue, and not the false positive alerts on 17.42. How did you correct the alerts when you got them?
If you were asking me? I lost Power Steering (not just error messages). Immediately after .40.1 update (second failure). First failure (I think) was immediately after .38 update. Fix both times was a hard reset (disconnect high voltage followed by 12v disconnect) both times done at the SvC. I have yet to either of the .42 releases.

I've heard of others that required parts replacement to remedy the PS failures. So far I have not need any parts replaced for the PS issue.

If you were asking me? I lost Power Steering (not just error messages). Immediately after .40.1 update (second failure). First failure (I think) was immediately after .38 update. Fix both times was a hard reset (disconnect high voltage followed by 12v disconnect) both times done at the SvC. I have yet to either of the .42 releases.

I've heard of others that required parts replacement to remedy the PS failures. So far I have not need any parts replaced for the PS issue.
Error message does mean you lose power steering. That's what the issue is. And of course someone has parts failures out of thousands of cars, and thousands of people have no issues. That's the statistics of manufacturing and Internet forums. :D

But what I was saying was the basic issue with 17.42 was that for AP2.5 cars, it generally caused a problem because it was trying to look for hardware that was no longer present. And turning the power off and on fixed it in many cases. I don't even know if that was ever tried, as the SC may have jumped right to the hard reset. Who knows? (I turned it off, and then restarted the car from the app. May have been a one off, may have worked for others, I don't have the data.)

In the SAS case, it was semi-functional with the errors, since you still have coils with bags in them. For steering, with no power, it's pretty impossible to use at all.

As others have said, if you gauge the worth of these vehicles on the complaints of this forum, you will never get a good read (and probably will never purchase). These are the squeaky wheels (love y'all and don't mean any disrespect - LOL). But these are amazing cars and if everyone owned one, this would be a happier planet (in many ways).

But I have a questions: Lee (at least that seems to be your name in your signature), you said
However, for those that are, I would advise people to be aware of how to totally restart their car and have a mobile app ready to start it back up in case the brake pedal doesn't work.
Can you explain this procedure in case I (and others) need it in the future? I know how to reset my screens, but it seems you are talking about something else. Thanks.

As others have said, if you gauge the worth of these vehicles on the complaints of this forum, you will never get a good read (and probably will never purchase). These are the squeaky wheels (love y'all and don't mean any disrespect - LOL). But these are amazing cars and if everyone owned one, this would be a happier planet (in many ways).

But I have a questions: Lee (at least that seems to be your name in your signature), you said
Can you explain this procedure in case I (and others) need it in the future? I know how to reset my screens, but it seems you are talking about something else. Thanks.
Sure: when I had the Steering Assist alert,
I wanted to see if resetting the car would reset them. Screen resets didn’t do it, as you said.

So, turn the car off on the Reset screen (I believe that’s the one, on mobile right now). It’s the Powr Off slider. Wait four minutes, usual time to be sure car has drained all power.

Normally now, you can restart the car using the brake pedal. When I did this, it was dead. And I thought, here we go, hours waiting for Roadside.

But after a bit, I recalled the apps (either Tesla’s or Remote S) all have Remote Start capability. And the car was still awake enough to listen to the remote API and woke right up and was fine.

Definitely something that can’t hurt while you wait on hold for Roadside!

So I've been told by Tesla Service that I need a new power steering pump (?) and they want $3,200 for the job. I cannot afford this - do I have any other recourse? I've been searching for videos and found nothing.

Brent

Pump? What kind of car are you bringing to Tesla? I'm pretty sure Tesla's don't have power steering pumps. They are electric steering racks, not hydraulic. Hmm.