Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is HW 4.0 camera good enough for dashcam function or better use other dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome!

The YouTube channel Wham Baam Teslacam has many many many videos of TeslaCams recording accidents and other things.

Wham Baam Teslacam is a YouTube channel dedicated to showcasing various incidents involving Tesla vehicles, captured through Tesla's built-in cameras. The channel features a range of videos showcasing Tesla crashes, fails, road rage incidents, and other stories.

By watching some of these videos you should get a very good idea if the TeslaCam will meet your needs or not. Most of the videos are probably HW 3.0 and I think they are just fine for recording an accident. With HW 4.0 cameras I think there will be little need for an addtional camera but I'm sure not everyone will agree with me.

BTW: I recommend getting a couple of Samsung Endurance microSD cards and at least one Samsung usb adapter. These are not expensive, they are plenty fast enough for the TeslaCam, and they have great longevity. Keep a spare in the glove box just in case anyway. If you do have an accident, safely remove the current card and replace it with the backup. This way you are sure to keep the video you need/want and you can continue recording in case you are having a very unlucky day.

Basically the last hour or so of video is easily available on the card if you plug it into a computer. You can get many more hours of video if you use an unerase program but that can be a big pain in the neck.

Reactions: UoMDeacon
Welcome!

The YouTube channel Wham Baam Teslacam has many many many videos of TeslaCams recording accidents and other things.

Wham Baam Teslacam is a YouTube channel dedicated to showcasing various incidents involving Tesla vehicles, captured through Tesla's built-in cameras. The channel features a range of videos showcasing Tesla crashes, fails, road rage incidents, and other stories.

By watching some of these videos you should get a very good idea if the TeslaCam will meet your needs or not. Most of the videos are probably HW 3.0 and I think they are just fine for recording an accident. With HW 4.0 cameras I think there will be little need for an addtional camera but I'm sure not everyone will agree with me.

BTW: I recommend getting a couple of Samsung Endurance microSD cards and at least one Samsung usb adapter. These are not expensive, they are plenty fast enough for the TeslaCam, and they have great longevity. Keep a spare in the glove box just in case anyway. If you do have an accident, safely remove the current card and replace it with the backup. This way you are sure to keep the video you need/want and you can continue recording in case you are having a very unlucky day.

Basically the last hour or so of video is easily available on the card if you plug it into a computer. You can get many more hours of video if you use an unerase program but that can be a big pain in the neck.

Thx for great sharing. SSD should have much longer lifespan than microSD card?

Thx for great sharing. SSD should have much longer lifespan than microSD card?

Not necessarily. If you buy an endurance microSD card that is ment for many re writes, it will last a long time. I still have the first one I bought 5 years ago when I got my model 3 (in 2018) and Its still being used for dashcam with no issues.

Reactions: BitJam
I live in the desert and my Samsung T5 SSD (kept in my glovebox) started to die after less than 2 years. I was surprised. It was one of my very few HD/SSD/flash drive failures. SSDs are designed for speed. They accomplish this by creating heat which is bad for longevity, especially in a hot car or glovebox. SD cards are designed for longevity, not speed. They do this partially by running slower and creating less heat.

The USB ports in a Tesla (according to the manual) are usb-2. All that speed of an SSD is completely wasted. The problem of reliably recording video for endless hours has been solved already. The solution was the SD card, not the SSD. For general computer work, SSDs are magically fast and far superior. But for the mundane task of recording surveillance video, an SD card is the better tool for the job.

One thing few people know about is the temperature range of SSDs and USB stick drives are quite limited, and never designed for automotive temperatures. That said, for the most part, they seem to work, but SD cards are a better choice. Almost all SD Cards are rated for automotive temperatures. Keep in mind, in the summer, a parked car can easily reach 140F. This means while it's recording when parked, the drive is quite hot and may fail to work. I always recommend using SD Cards (high endurance). These are made for dashcams and should last a long time.

Not necessarily. If you buy an endurance microSD card that is ment for many re writes, it will last a long time. I still have the first one I bought 5 years ago when I got my model 3 (in 2018) and Its still being used for dashcam with no issues.

The endurance microSD maximum size is 256gb, seem like pretty small. I don't want to always switch the microSD cards.

The endurance microSD maximum size is 256gb, seem like pretty small. I don't want to always switch the microSD cards.

Why would you be switching it? Quite small for what? I reformat mine like 1 or 2 times a year, it has not had to be swapped. I dont put music on it, and its more than large enough for the stated purpose (Dashcam / Sentry). Since dashcam writes over itself after an hour, no matter how much space you have on the drive, the only thing that fills up a drive used just for dashcam / sentry is saved sentry events.

Reactions: BitJam
TeslaCam on my 3.0 HW only uses about 7G of the drive to store the last hour of video. Everything else gets erased. Sure, HW 4.0 cameras will probably use more space but even a 128G drive will be more than ample.

As for total write cycles, a single 256G Pro Endurance is rated to last you 11 years of continuous driving or sentry mode. If most of that time is spent driving at 30 mph then that is millions of miles. To be on the safe side I recommend you replace the sd card every 500K miles. Or just keep a spare in your glovebox.

Samsung releases camera card designed to live long and prosper

[ninja'ed by jj]

TeslaCam on my 3.0 HW only uses about 7G of the drive to store the last hour of video. Everything else gets erased. Sure, HW 4.0 cameras will probably use more space but even a 128G drive will be more than ample.

As for total write cycles, a single 256G Pro Endurance is rated to last you 11 years of continuous driving or sentry mode. If most of that time is spent driving at 30 mph then that is millions of miles. To be on the safe side I recommend you replace the sd card every 500K miles. Or just keep a spare in your glovebox.

Samsung releases camera card designed to live long and prosper

[ninja'ed by jj]

Seem like HW 4.0 uses much more space for video especially the front camera resolution is pretty high.

Seem like HW 4.0 uses much more space for video especially the front camera resolution is pretty high.
I'd imagine it takes more space. Do you have any evidence for how much space it takes? I would be amazed if it used anything close to 128G. The bandwidth limits of usb-2 will keep it from doing that.

If you have a car with HW 4 and TeslaCam enabled, the size of the contents of TeslaCam/RecentClips/ will tell us.

How about this one:
The operating temperature range is poor. Only 0C to 60C compared to -25C to 85C of the Pro Endurance. The speed is superfluous and the long lever arm is not ideal. Kingston is a decent brand but not top tier.

Please do what you want. I've given you my recommendation along with the reasons why I made it. If you prefer to use something inferior, be my guest. Likewise, you are free to use a screwdriver as a hammer.

Samsung PRO Endurance microSD Card

Astoundingly reliable stamina. With capacities up to 256GB, the PRO Endurance records and rewrites up to 140K hours (over 16 years). Plus, your data is secured with a limited warranty of up to 5 years.

From severe weather to extensive wear and tear, the PRO Endurance stands up to real-world situations. It is rigorously tested and proven resistant to magnets, X-rays, water, drop, wearout, and withstands operating temperatures ranging from -25°C to 85°C.

How about this one:
I check the Samsung ssd specs, T7 has 60 degrees limit and T7 Shield is 85 degrees. T7 1GB is around 69 usd dollars which is a pretty good choice for me. T7 shield is even better choice if money is not a concern at all. T9 speed is very high but not useful for this case.

From my experience, here is the chance of totally not working:
sd card>usb stick>ssd

I think no matter how durability the sd card design is, it still has higher chance to just stop working comparing to a normal ssd, while ssd like T7 is better grade ssd. I expect Sd card to usb adapter would just stop working anytime especially under extreme temperature.

I check the Samsung ssd specs, T7 has 60 degrees limit and T7 Shield is 85 degrees. T7 1GB is around 69 usd dollars which is a pretty good choice for me. T7 shield is even better choice if money is not a concern at all. T9 speed is very high but not useful for this case.

From my experience, here is the chance of totally not working:
sd card>usb stick>ssd

I think no matter how durability the sd card design is, it still has higher chance to just stop working comparing to a normal ssd, while ssd like T7 is better grade ssd. I expect Sd card to usb adapter would just stop working anytime especially under extreme temperature.

Well I check commits online and some people report having issues with T7 or older T5, I think I would just buy usb stick to prevent problems.

seem like the 2022 or newer model come with usb 3.0 port in the glovebox and the maximum supported power is 4.5 W, while older model with usb 2.0 is 2.5w. T7 needs 7 watt at max. No double a lot of people report having problem (I guess using it with older model)

seem like high endurance sd card is still st card

Here is a simple review
I would skip T7 since it has over heat or all kinds of problems when it is used in a Tesla car. The Tesla official very expensive SSD seem like is specially designed that works with older model usb 2.0 and also can survive in very high temperature, other ssd seem like having all kinds of problems for some users.